Chapter Sixteen

After Percy left and the boys were asleep, Annabeth sat down with the Graces. 

Thalia's mom started. "Annabeth, you could have told us what was going on sooner, we would have helped you." She placed down a cup of hot chocolate in front of everyone. "No child should have to go through what you went through."

Annabeth stared into her mug. "I just didn't want the whole town knowing what was going on with me. I wouldn't have been able to deal with the pitying looks and the 'oh I'm so sorry for you' nonsense. I thought I would be fine by myself."

"You can stay here as long as you need," Thalia's dad said, pouring whiskey into his drink. "You will always have a home here, no matter what."

"You've been part of our family for a long time," Jason said, putting his hand over Annabeth's. "You're practically my little sister at this point."

Annabeth blinked harshly to hold back her tears. She swallowed them down and nodded with a smile at the group. "Thank you so much. You have no idea how much this means to me."

;;;

When Annabeth was sure everyone was asleep, she snuck out and strolled to the park. She allowed herself to cry now that she was alone. Tears practically poured down her cheeks. Her hair was down, which it usually wasn't, but tonight she could find the energy to tie it up. 

It felt like she was walking for hours, until she came to the park. She saw a figure sitting in the swing. She had cried all her tears out and they had dried on her face. 

She walked up to the figure. "Percy?" she asked. "What are you doing here this late?"

He smirked but it seemed sadder than usual. "I could ask you the same thing Ms Geography."

Annabeth sighed and sat next to him on the other swing.  "I couldn't sleep. I left to clear my head." Annabeth paused for a minute before asking, "Why do you always insist on ordering just asshole-ish drinks?"

Percy chuckled and took a swing from his bottle that was stuck inside a paper bag. 

"What?" Annabeth asked. 

"Annabeth, I did it because it annoyed you," he said in a 'duh' tone of voice. 

"I'm not following."

He made eye contact with her and said, "Well when you figure it out, you let me know."

Annabeth's eyes narrowed into grey slits. "You're being weird. 

He laughed lightly again and took another sip. "I'm being perfectly normal for a high school boy." He held up the paper bag. "Want some?"

Annabeth sighed and took the bottle. "Sure, why the hell not?" She took a long sip and welcomed the burning sensation she felt as she swallowed it. She admired Percy's choice of alcohol. "You have good taste," she complimented. 

"Can I ask you a question?" he asked. 

Annabeth chuckled. "I think you just did." She held the bottle out to Percy. 

"You know what I mean."

Annabeth sighed. "Sure, why not? You already know more than most people in this town."

"What did your dad mean about the baby? And when you called yourself a murderer?" he asked shyly. 

"Um," Annabeth's throat got dry. "When I was fifteen, I got pregnant. I left town with Thalia and we told people we were spending the next year there. My brothers stayed with my aunt. Before the baby was born, I had a miscarriage. My dad decided that it was something I did and blamed me. Then, I got custody of my brothers while I was there, and came back to town and told people my dad got a job somewhere else."

"Damn, that... really sucks." 

Annabeth chuckled dryly. "Yeah, sucks is an understatement."

;;;

They ended up talking for hours. Annabeth found that it was so freaking easy to talk to him. She explained so much to him and she told her things too. 

Annabeth stood up from the swing. "I should probably get back before Thalia knows I'm gone." 

She started to walk away but Percy's voice stopped her. "Hey Wise Girl," he said, causing her to turn around. "You should wear your hair down more often, it's really pretty that way." 

Annabeth snorted a "whatever" and kept walking away. 

But that comment stayed with her all the to Thalia's and as she tried to sleep that night.