Chapter Thirteen

Thursday. Annabeth's day off. 

Percy convinced her to take the day and study with him at the beach. He stopped by her house in his blue Subaru and knocked on the door. 

Annabeth opened it to find him holding two coffees and two smaller cups in a carrying tray with Anchor Grounds Coffee scribbled across it. She smiled. "Percy, hi. Come in," she said, opening the door wider. "Boys!" she called. "Get ready to go to Silena's!" 

The two boys came running out of the bedroom. Matthew grabbed his books and shoved them in his bag, but Bobby was running around giggling, butt naked. Annabeth sighed. "Oh god. Give me a minute? Will you?" Annabeth excused herself and took Bobby to his room to put proper clothes on him. 

When she came out (with Bobby fully clothed) Matthew and Percy were ready. Percy was still holding the drink tray. "I brought hot chocolate for your brothers... And you a coffee."

Annabeth nodded and Percy handed the drinks to her younger brothers. They both said thank you and gladly took it. Percy handed her the coffee. "Thanks," she said quietly. 

"Who is he?" Matthew asked. 

"This is Percy," Annabeth said, grabbing her bag. "He is a friend from school."

Matthew's eyebrows went up. "The guy who sounds like your boyfriend but isn't your boyfriend?"

Percy looked at Annabeth, who chuckled awkwardly. "Okay, let's go. Boys, I will get you after dinner." Percy looked like he was holding back a laugh but he didn't say anything.

;;;

"Your brothers seem sweet." Percy had taken Annabeth to a spot on the beach where no one was that day. 

Annabeth smiled. "They're the best, now focus." 

Annabeth was wrong about Percy, he was a really good guy. Definitely more than a dumb jock. She opened her mouth to tell him that but a voice practically made her heart stop instead. 

"Annabeth." The man was about in his thirties with some facial hair. He looks angry. Very angry. 

Annabeth was on her feet faster than she processed. "What are you doing here?" she asked. "I thought you weren't around."

Percy stood up too, he seemed concerned but he didn't say anything. 

"I want to see my kids," the man defended. 

Annabeth shook her head. "No. They're not your kids. You can't see them."

"I am their father!" he shouted. 

"No!" Annabeth yelled. "If you were their father you would be living us. Not tramping through the West Coast with a new whore every week!" Annabeth yelled. 

Her father looked at Percy for the first time since he showed up. "Who this? Your boyfriend?"

Annabeth scoffed. "No. Even if he was that's not your business. I am eighteen. I have custody of Bobby and Matthew. Not you. You lost that right three years ago. You can't tell me what to do with my kids."

He raised his hand to hit her. Percy started towards him but Annabeth held her hand out and he stopped. "Watch your mouth when you speak to me. I'm still your father," he warned. 

"Yes sir," Annabeth muttered. "But you need to leave. I don't want anyone knowing you're back." She also bit back a sarcastic remark. 

Her father followed through with the threat and slapped Annabeth across the face so hard she stumbled back into the sand. He started to walk away. Percy turned to go after him. "Don't," Annabeth said sternly. "Trust me, it's better to let him go."

"Annabeth he--"

"I know what he did. But you need to get me to Thalia's. I can't let him find them first."

Percy helped Annabeth up and wiped her tears away with his thumb. "Okay," he said. 

He didn't assure her it would be okay. He didn't tell her that they would get through it. He just did what was needed right then at that moment. 

That's when Annabeth started falling for him.