Chapter Seventeen

Annabeth woke up on the couch the next morning, hungover and tired. 

"Where did you go last night?" Thalia was standing in front of Annabeth with her arms crossed. 

Annabeth sat up and rubbed her eyes. "I went for a walk."

Thalia's blue eyes narrowed. "A walk with booze?"

Annabeth sighed. "Yeah, I just needed to clear my head."

Thalia pressed a piece of mint gum into Annabeth's palm. "Chew this," she said. "And do not let my parents find out."

In the kitchen, Thalia's mom was making waffles for breakfast. Annabeth's younger brothers were sitting on the table stuffing their faces. 

"Good morning, Annabeth," Thalia's dad greeted her. "Will you all be going to school today?"

"I will," Annabeth said. "The boys will stay home until I'm sure my father has left down."

"Are you sure you should go?" Jason asked. 

Annabeth nodded. "Yeah, I can't fall behind and even if he did show up at my school, I can handle him."

"After you get ready," Thalia said, "I'll drive us."

;;;

Annabeth was in Trig but she couldn't focus because she kept thinking about last night. 

She told Percy almost everything about herself. How could she possibly have thought that would have been a good idea? 

"Annabeth," Mr Rad said. "Care to join us?"

Annabeth glanced up quickly. "I'm sorry, what?"

A couple of the kids giggled at her getting called out and Annabeth's cheeks turned pink but she kept a straight face.

"Who will you choose to help you represent Far Water High at the competition?" the teacher asked. 

Annabeth shrugged. "Leo, probably."

Leo elbowed her. "Probably?" He went back to constructing his weird structure thing on his desk. "We both know you need me."

"Yeah yeah," Annabeth said. "You owe me an ice cream by the way."

Leo sighed dramatically earning a glare from Mr Rad. "Fine." He looked up at the teacher. "You know what I'm talkin' about, don't you, my bro?"

Mr Rad scoffed. "I am not your bro, Mr Valdez."

Leo leaned back in his chair and gestured his thumb at the teacher, shaking his head at Annabeth. "This guy."

Annabeth rolled her eyes and the bell rang. 

;;;

Thalia was listening to Green Day on the radio drumming her fingers on the steering wheel until she looked over at Annabeth and said, "What are thinking about over there? Other than the obvious. You've been distracted all day."

"Um," Annabeth said. She didn't want to tell Thalia. "Nothing much."

"Oh-kay," Thalia drew out. "How about we stop at the gas station and get some snacks. We'll have a movie night and watch Jeepers Creepers."

Annabeth smiles. "Sounds good, but only if we get Ben and Jerry's"

Thalia laughed. "Is it a movie night without the best ice cream?"

"Definitely not," Annabeth said, shaking her head.