Chapter Fourteen

Annabeth was buckling her brothers into their car seats in the back of Percy's car. 

"What's going on?" asked Bobby on the verge of tears. He only saw Annabeth like once before. 

Annabeth sighed. "We have to get you guys to Lee Lee's. Dad is back in town. Don't worry, I'll take care of it, but for now, Percy is going to take us to Lee Lee's house and we will spend a few days there."

The look of terror in the children's eyes when Annabeth mentioned her dad made Percy's heart break into pieces. He had never seen two kids look so scared of their parent in his entire life. 

Annabeth called Thalia on the way to her house and explained the situation. 

;;;

Once they got there, Thalia met them at the door. "Oh honey, I'm so sorry. We have to get you guys inside, come on." Inside the front door, Thalia kept talking. She tends to do that when she's nervous. "I had to tell my parents, but they said anything you needed they would help out with. As much as they could."

"Thank you so much. Could you just... watch them for a bit?" Annabeth sighed nervously. "I have to get some stuff from the house before he goes there."

Thalia nodded quickly. "Yes, of course. Whatever you need. I'm here--"

Annabeth grabbed her shoulder. "Thals. Breathe. It's going to be okay. I need you to breathe. Okay?" 

"Yeah, sorry. I'll get your brothers settled in the guest room."

Annabeth nodded and looked at Percy. "Can you give me a ride and help me pack?"

Percy nodded. "Of course. Let's go."

;;;

"What did you mean he wouldn't think to check there?" Percy asked. 

Before they had left, Annabeth made a comment about why she took her younger siblings to Thalia's house. 

"When we were younger, we hated each other. She even attempted to kill me and put me in the hospital. After my dad left, we became friends. Best friends. He doesn't know that though." Annabeth took a deep breath. "I'd like it to stay that way."

"Can you explain to me what the hell is going on?" Percy turned onto her street. 

Annabeth blew some of her hair out of her face. "I suppose I should explain. When I was younger my dad hit me, a lot. When Bobby and Matthew were born he turned his abuse to them. When I was fifteen I went to NYC and got emancipated and got custody. I came back and my dad went off the radar. This is the first he's come back in years."

Percy stopped in front of their house. "What about your mom?"

Annabeth opened her car door so she wouldn't have to look at Percy. "She died after giving birth to the twins."

Inside the house, they were shoving clothes into two bags. One for the boys, one for Annabeth. In the middle of packing, they heard the front door slam. Annabeth choked back a sob.

"I want to see my boys!" her dad yelled as he walked into the bedroom. "Where are they?!"

Annabeth turned around and took a deep breath. "Leave them out of this. We both know why you hate me. What happened wasn't their fault. You don't want them. Stop acting like you do."

Her father took a step towards her and Percy's body slightly moved in front of her, but he didn't say anything. He knew it wasn't his fight, and wouldn't intervene unless he had to. If he hit Annabeth, all bets were off. 

"You're right, it's yours,"  her father spat. "That baby is lucky it didn't survive. Having you as a mother would be a curse."

"Just leave!" Annabeth screamed. "Go back to your tramp and fuck her! You're not getting Bobby and Matthew, or me."

Her dad took another step forward and Annabeth stepped back quickly and reached under her pillow. She pointed the gun at her father with tears dripping down her cheeks. "This is your last chance. Leave. According to you, I'm a heartless murderer, so you know I won't hesitate."

Her dad knew when he was beat. He walked out the door after slamming it. Annabeth put the gun in her bag and sighed/sobbed. Percy tried to give her a hug but she pushed him away. "Not now. We have to get back to Thalia's. I only bought us a little while."