Chapter 49 - Code-B (Year 5618)

I finished straightening my uniform and stared in the mirror. It looked awkward on me. Bright. When I wore a uniform at all, I normally wore black and silver of Tlas. The Karitan uniform is red and blue, which almost made my cheeks a little rosy. Almost made me think I’m pretty. I didn’t normally wear anything this bright and I felt like I stood out horridly.

Rob came up behind me and gently wrapped his arms around me. I smiled and kissed his cheek. He smelled like his fresh mist soap, which didn’t have much smell, but I liked it nonetheless. 

“What?” I said.

He smiled. “Just you.”

“What about me?” I turned to look at him. 

He brushed my hair behind my ear. “You look beautiful, that’s all.”

“I’m in an enemy uniform. I can’t look pretty.” I grin mischievously. 

“Sure you can.” 

I took my hair and twisted it up. “Nope.” I clipped my hair back with a claw. 

He shrugged. “I still think so. And I so want to kiss you right now.” 

I give him a look, then lean up and give him a quick kiss. 

“That’s it?” He gave me a sad look. 

“Well, someday, when we’re married....” I grinned. We didn’t do a lot of making out like normal couples did. I couldn’t figure out how to explain to him that kissing was--is--a lot deeper than it is I think for most people. It allows a little bit of Rob to seep into my mind, and wrap around my very self. I didn’t want to give him that just whenever without us being fully committed. 

He kissed my forehead in response. I turned and tugged my uniform again. 

“Ready?” Rob asked. 

“For the mission?” I asked. I shrugged. 

He paused. “Are you--okay?” 

“I guess.” 

He wrapped his arms around me again. “Marie, what is it? You are normally so--ready.” 

I leaned back and closed my eyes. “I--I don’t know. I just feel--off. Like I’m a rubber band stretched too tight and about to snap. Or too--I don’t know--like I’m ready to burst. I’m so tired of it.” 

“Of what?”

“This--everything.” I turned to look at him, but didn’t wiggle out of his arms. “I don’t want to spy anymore. I don’t want to--fight anymore. I don’t want to pretend to be someone who I’m not anymore. I just--want to be us.” 

“I do too.” 

I blinked. “Honest?” 

Rob smiled faintly, his eyes twinkling, but I can tell he’s telling me the truth. “Honest. Soon. We’ll do it. We’ll leave and start our own life. Just--we can’t rightly back out an hour before the mission.” 

I grinned, because I knew he was right. He let me go and took his backpack of supplies. 

“One more thing, Rob.” 

He stopped and waited. 

“If I do snap, will you stop me?” 

“Of course. If I know.” 

I fingered the hem of my shirt. “What about--code-B?”

“For what? There’s no Code-B.”

“There is now.” Understanding dawned on him and I grinned. Rob would have my back. Always.