Chapter 4 - The Best Birthday (Year 5613)

I got two presents on my thirteenth birthday that I did not expect when the day began. One I forced, and one I did not. In all reality, I expected nothing unique in that day. I did not want Mr. Matt and Mrs. Anne to realize what the day was, since Mr. Matt had been particularly stressed at work this past month and took it out on me often. If I got more than the school lunch to eat in a day without stealing it, I did well. If he was really as crazy as I expected him to be, then he would take any possible joy out of this day for me, so I said nothing the whole week before, in hopes they would forget, which they did.

However, that did not mean that I did not want my own treat. On my way to school, there was this convieance store about half way there. Sometimes I could sneak in there, swipe something to eat, and be gone in a moment. When I saw these large cupcakes in the window, I could just imagine how good they would taste. I didn’t often take treats like this, but it was my birthday, and he wouldn’t notice one little cupcake missing, right? 

I pushed open the door like I knew what I was doing, but also tried to give the impression of invisibility around me. I didn’t know if this actually worked, but it seemed to when I tried to avoid some kids at school. Just ignore me. 

I meandered around the shop, casually looking at things and all the while getting closer and closer to my cupcake. I could almost taste it. I hadn’t had sweets like that in so long; public schools didn’t give out deserts ever. Still, I made myself look through some candy and some chips. It would make me late for school; I didn’t care. The teachers didn’t either.

When I felt confident that my shield worked, I wandered over to the cupcake and placed it in a box. Then I placed the box in my jacket pocket, It bulged, but with the idea that I was invisible, I could probably walk out with anything and they wouldn’t notice. 

I maintained my slow wandering around the store, though, and finally headed towards the door.  I was almost out the door when a man browsing sunglasses whispered: “Most people pay for their food before they leave the store.” 

I froze. His accent sounded odd and different, so I knew he wasn’t from Tlas. He slowly looked down at me with a faint smile. 

I took a slow breath and focused on projecting an impression that I was telling the truth towards him. “I don’t have any food on me, sir. I’m not stealing.” Somehow, I didn’t think it worked though. It felt like my strength both bounced off an invisible wall and disappeared down a black hole. 

“No? Then you don’t eat cupcakes here? My mistake.” 

I swallowed. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Mentally, I screamed truth towards him. he had to believe, and yet I got the same reaction as before. It bounced off a wall and disappeared down a black hole. 

The man sat down slowly. “My name’s A’dan. And you are?”

 I shook my head. 

“Fair enough. You don’t want me to give a name that I could report. Why are you taking the cupcake then at least?” 

I paused. Most people by now would have reported me to the store. Some punk kid trying to steal food. But he spoke softly, like he was conspiring with me. I could still get out of this. “I’m not taking it, sir. It’s just--it’s my birthday and I wanted a treat.” 

“Why don’t you wait for your parents to buy you a treat?” 

“They’re dead.” 

“Dead?” A’dan raised his eyebrows. “Are you sure?” 

I wondered briefly how he caught the slight lie. “My father is. Before I was born. My mother abandoned me about seven years ago, so as far as I’m concerned, she’s dead too.”