Chapter 8 - Rescued (Year 5617)

The lights blinked on again just as the alarm screamed through my small cell. I squeezed my eyes shut but there was nothing I could do to drown out the noise that bore deep into my head. Sleep. If only I could sleep.

I didn’t rightly know then how long I had been in that prison. (Turned out five days). However long it was, I had not been allowed to get more than a few hours of sleep total, and typically I would get close to ten minutes before the noise and lights came again. I felt miserable, helpless, sick and dirty. And, truth be told, I was thinking about giving in. I couldn’t come up with any reason not to.

I knew our policy about being captured. We had to escape because Tlas sure wouldn’t help us. But the only way I could escape now, especially when I was weaponless, was to “convince” someone. One problem--no one had been around with enough authority to release me until I had gone well more than twenty-four hours without sleep. Even my mind has limits--and it’s useless after about twenty-four hours without any sleep. The only way I saw, then, to get out was to answer the questions they demanded as best as I could and hope they really would let me go like they said. And hope that Rob got away with Kari by now. Far, far away. Because he didn’t, all this was for nothing. And if he did, then my answers meant nothing.

The door squealed open but I didn’t turn. There wasn’t a point to it. Vaguely, like I felt it through water, I felt something similar to passion coming from this man. (I can always feel emotions, no matter how tired I am. It just is more or less acute.) I was not scared that he would harm me then but enough that I knew things could change quickly. On the other hand, it didn’t quite feel like he wanted to make me nothing, but that he wanted to raise me up. That made no sense! I needed sleep. And I needed to get out quickly for my own safety apparently. 

He nudged me none too gently with his foot. I pushed myself up slowly and blinked dazedly against the light. The world spun. When it settled, I discovered a new man there. High enough that he--too--could get me free if I had any ability to control him. And behind him, two guards that I recognized. 

If only I could sleep! I’d be out so quickly!

“Now, dearie, we have a surprise for you that came all the way from Spalding. You have heard of Spalding, no?” His voice sounded familiar, but I couldn’t place it. And overly sick. It made my stomach churn. Worse, I knew what Splading was. Researching facility for hire. On the planet run by gangs, it typically created whatever drug the gang would request with no controls. Some of the most terrifying drugs came from that place. 

“This, here,” he held up a syringe, “is a truth drug. In about two hours, you sing like a bird. Or you’ll be dead. That does happen on occasion, but only typically to older people. Something to do with the extreme pain. So, soon, we’ll know everything that you do.” He smiled mirthlessly. “Or you can just talk now and guarantee your life.”

I met his brown eyes. If I talked, I gave up. That meant I lost my job, Rob, success--everything. It also would mean that I could have fallen for their bluff. They didn’t talk like it was a bluff--the drug seemed pretty straight forward and easy enough--but I could not risk it. 

“I don’t think so,” I croaked through parched lips.

“Suit yourself.” Roughly, he pulled up my shirt sleeve and gave me the single shot. It burned horridly. But only one shot. One shot, and, you know, maybe I’ll actually get a chance to sleep. I liked the thought of that.

He rose. ‘See you in an hour, dearie.” 

Already,  I felt the drug running through my body. Sleep stretch out before me like a welcomed blanket. Or maybe it was just relief that this would all be over and out of my control. I laid down slowly and closed my eyes. Instantly, I was asleep. Completely asleep.