Chapter 54 - Reaction (year 5620)

“A’dan!” Ra’nun almost shouted, excitement clear. “Come here!” 

A’dan automatically locked the screen of his bedroom computer as he stood and joined his brother in the living room.  “What is it?” 

“The Galactic News Network is finally talking about us, Well--Karit,” he said. “They just showed Marie’s video.”

An anchor--Rikva--appeared just then. “Breaking news in the Tlas-Karit conflict,” she said. “For those who just joined us, that video was released a mere ten hours ago by Marie Vanhill and Robner Straights. Ms. Vanhill is  the Tlas agent who Karit supposedly captured and killed. While we became aware of this video a little more than an hour ago, we found it so unlikely that we waited until we had proof of what she said before we shared it with you. Now, I’m not an expert, Markis, but if you ask me, that sounds like she just condemned Tlas. What do you make of it?” 

Another man appeared, older with grey hair, Dr. Markis d’Showfel. His title read as expert of Base TK7, which A’dan found humorous, as he had never heard of the man before. More likely, he was an expert in the general political climate of this sector of space and, most often, that excluded Karit except in very broad, general terms. “Well, yes, Ms. Vanhill clearly did just condemn Tlas and in perhaps the harshest manners possible. I still find it unlikely that she was recruited at sixteen just so that way Tlas can gain control of Base TK7. I realize TK7 is a valuable base, trade wise, but that still seems like a stretch. On the other hand, I find no evidence that she is being forced into make this video.” 

“This video, yes, has been confirmed by several experts who analyze such videos for secret messages and the like as authentic and honest,” another man said, this one younger than Markis and Rivka. His name line read Solmin and title was just authenticator of facts for GN. “On the fact of Tlas’ role in this, Markis, I have been trying to contact anyone who can provide a statement regarding this video  since I began checking facts for it and. Everyone says are busy, occupied or unavailable for comment at the moment.  However, Assignment Director Overweg, who she names specifically in the video, has been moved to inactive duty within the last ten hours for reasons that are not stated. Now, that raises red flags for me.” 

“This is an incredible story though, Solmin, wouldn’t you say? You’ve been checking facts on this video. How much of this story is accurate?” Rivka asked. 

“Quite a bit. In fact, based on the initial accuracy of the facts, it all could be accurate. The facts that I can corroborate include the events in Shaltray. I actually have interview that I would like to share from Minister Goring of Shaltray concerning Marie if we have it ready yet... we do. This was conducted by myself, via teleconference with the minster not even thirty minutes ago.” 

The screen shifted to an older man, Minster Goring, A’dan presumed, in the lush background of what A’dan knew to be Shaltray. 

“I met Marie Vanhill and Robner Straights, known by myself as Marie and Rob, when they helped rescue my kidnapped daughter several years ago,” the minister said, “A wonderful, smart team the two of them, both very young and very eager. It bothered me even then--as Marie was barely a year older than my own daughter--that Tlas sent her into such dangerous situation. Marie had been captured while she rescued my daughter in fact and Rob went to rescue her. I informed them both at that time that, if needed, I could gain them asylum on Shaltray....” The screen shifted, obviously cutting out some other details the minister said. “They took up the offer two years later and were married almost at the same time that they received asylum. I believe personal reasons, more than religious, propelled the marriage, but it is why she goes by the name of Straights now. They stayed in Shaltray for three months, until I warn them that the council would probably vote to return them to Tlas the next day due to the embargo placed on us. I suggested they flee then.”