Epilogue - Year 5622

I lower myself into the chair and hold out the paper. Dr. E’del smiles faintly as she takes it. “You did it. Very good.”

“I hated doing it,” I say.

“But you did it. And that’s what matters.” She glances over it briefly. There isn’t much. As a letter to one’s mom, it seems rather harsh. But E’del said to write what I wanted to tell her, so I did. 

Char Avris,

I am your daughter. I know you want to think me to be dead but I’m not. I suppose that make it fair that I tell everyone you are dead, especially now that I get to hang out with my dad. It’s nice to know that one parent accepted me unconditionally, and that was after I almost started a war between two planets. Sure, makes asking for a few extra cookies seem trivial.

Anyway I’m suppose to tell you whatever I would want to in this letter and get it off my chest. Only I have nothing to say beyond this. I hate you and I hope to never see you again. Also, I am very glad you named me Vanhill, not Avris, because at least I didn’t have to carry around that reminder all of my life. And, besides, Ra’nun is more of a parent anyway. At least he wants to be one.

I would say this is good bye, but we never really got that. Just know that as surely as you believed me to be dead--so surely you lied to Ra’nun and he believed you--so too are you dead to me. I hope to never se you again.

Marie Hihill-Straights

E’del looks up at me after she reads it and nods slowly.

“It’s about what I would expect from you. And because I know you, I know that this issue is about as solved as it can be with you.”

I shrug. “I don’t think about her too often, if that’s what you mean.”

“It is, except that it will come back on occasion, especially when you are having a hard time. Know that and know you will probably need to reach out then.” 

I nod slowly. “I will try.” If Dr. E’del didn’t know after two years that I struggled to ask for help, she failed in her job as a counselor.

”That’s all I can ask. And Rob will help you. I’m sure.”

We talk a little more but it is mostly just reminders of what I have already learned and how life is going on Karit for me, which really isn’t all that bad. 

My mental trainer believes I may officially graduate from the basic school soon. That whole situation was a challenge, as only only was I five to seven years older than most everyone at the school, as well as strong. So it took a while to find a suitable mentor for me. However, not only have I learned how to control my skill far more than I thought possible, but it takes far less effort than it used to. 

Now, the bigger question is when--if any--specialization do I want. Both Ra’nun and A’dan say that it would be a waste of my skill not to get and use a specialization. Even TAZ would be beneficial. But Rob (and I) aren’t sure about placing unskilled children in daycare. (Though most of these specializations pay enough that Rob wouldn’t have to work.) To make it harder, we won’t know for certain if any of our children have a mental cortex until they are fourteen, which is the official maturation age. 

Finally, E’del rises with a smile. “Well, Marie, I loved getting to know you. And if you ever need anything, feel free to call. But--you are also strong enough to move on by yourself.’

“With Rob,” I correct.

E’del shakes her head. “You’ll do fine by yourself, if you needed to.”

“I don’t know about that,” I say, as I slowly twist my hair. Then I smile just a little. “We’re not telling anyone quite yet, since it’s early still and all, but I want you to know that we’re expecting again.”

E’del grins. “That’s wonderful! I’m so happy for you.”

I smile a little to myself. “We decided that Kes’ed needed a sibling before she gets too old. Then, maybe we’ll wait. I know most people say that in never gets easier, so we’ll see.” I shrug.

E’del gives me a hug then. “Good luck, Marie. I do have every confidence in you. You will do something awesome.”

I grin and slip out. Rob looks up at me from the chairs, then scoops up Kes’ed from the floor. She squeals and grabs Rob’s neck, but she is happy and that makes me happy. 

“All good?“ he asks. 

I nod. “E’del says I’m done for now at least.”

Rob gives me a kiss.” Excellent.” 

I lean against him as we walk out. “So, where to now?”

“Well, we could get some food if you’re hungry. Or go to the park. I don’t have to work until four today, so we have some time.”

“Park!” Kes’ed shouts. 

I look up at my daughter, already two years old. She seems so big. “I think Kes’ed has her own opinions already.”

Rob’s eyebrows rise as he grins. “I heard a vote for throwing Kes’ed in the pool.”

I laugh.

“Or maybe that was mommy in the pool?”

“No. Please. No.” 

Rob shakes his head ever so sadly. I shove him. “I’m pregnant, remember? You get to be nice to me. Make up for the last one.”

“Nope. Don’t remember hearing that,” Rob says. 

“Ra’nun said it last night dinner that you need to be nice.”

“Ah, but he doesn’t know yet.” 

“He might soon with you. You can’t keep a secret here for the life of anyone.”

Rob gives a mock innocence look. But he knows. Those first couple months we struggled as people constantly read his mind and could tell what was going on. Eventually, with both Ra’nun’s and A’dan’s help, Rob got the point where he can project static to people who don’t know him. But anyone in my family can still easily read his mind. Partly due to the fact that everyone in it is strong. 

“Actually, let’s get some food first,” I say. “I’m starving. Then we’ll go to the park, Kes’ed, okay?”

“Park! Park!” She kicks her little legs excitedly.

“Later,” Rob says. “Let mommy eat first.”

“You make me sound like all I do is eat. I’m not the only one who is hungry. You are too.”

Just as we walk into the little sandwich stop, my cell goes off. I  pull it out to find a text from “Dad.”  For some reason, that little change gives me fuzzies. I switched it from Ra’nun just a few days ago. Even Rob hasn’t noticed it yet. 

“What is it?” Rob asks. 

“Ra’nun. Got off early and wants to know if we can met up for a few hours after 3:30.” I look at Rob. 

“Go on. You want to. I can get to work myself.”

I send my reply back as Rob orders for me. Then I lean against a wall and smile. This--this is good. A normal life, just like I’ve always wanted. I have Rob and Kes’ed and the baby on the way. And a dad who texts me about getting together for coffee just because he wants to. 

Life is really, really good.