chapter one- raid

Bam

“Nice shot.” Danni turns toward me and smiles

I cock the gun and look down at the dead zombie at my feet.

“Why didn’t you shoot?” I ask her

She thought for a second and then replies, “I was saving up my bullets.”

I let loose a half-laugh at her lame joke and she scrounged up the little bit of happiness we had left into a grin. Happiness is probably the thing we have the least of these days, well, with the exception of humans, those are pretty scarce too. Danni, Margret, and I are the few humans left in the world, or that is what we think.

“Well, you know that if there is one, more are following.” Danni says her face stretching back into its expressionless line. I sigh. I look down at the piece of rotting flesh in front of me. I hold my nose and kick it away. It looked like a male about in his late thirties. Danni holds her nose too and starts talking through her mouth.

“Ewwww they stink.”

“Yep, but if that is what we have to live with, I’ll learn to deal.”

She takes her hand down and sighs.

“Your no fun anymore.” She says.

“Well, it’s kinda hard to be fun nowadays.”

“Yeah, I guess your right.”

She looks down at the floor and then starts going on about random stuff. She does that a lot. Most of the time, I have no idea what she is saying, but I guess that it is eaiser for her to “let go” these days, she is a talkative person, and always has something she wants to say, so I just let her say what she wants to say. I eye the room and my eyes eventually rest on the torn up shoes I have on. All of a sudden Danni stops talking. I look up.

“What?” I ask

She cocks her gun. “More are here.”

I look into the doorway to see a flood of zombies walking through it. I sigh and start shooting. I peer over at Danni who is shooting away. She looks up.

“Crap.” She mutters, “Look.” She reaches over and pokes me.

“What?” I look up.

“Ohhhhhhh.” I reply

“Yup.”

An ocean of moldy flesh is pouring through the door. Another raid. This means that we will have to move soon. After they find our hide out, they keep on coming, and then never leave. We go back to shooting.

“When do you think Margret will be back with the water and food?” I ask, trying to keep conversation light, not that you can really keep conversation at all when shooting zombies in the chest.

“Oh, god, I don’t know, but soon I hope, or else I’ll shoot her just like all of these things.”

I don’t reply. Speaking of killing humans isn’t really a subject we usually talk about. We value our lives too much to speak of death, unless it is about the death of a zombie.

Danni catches the mishap and sighs. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that.”

I look up and smile.

Two peace fingers are being held up in the middle of the crowd. That means that Margret is back. We have out own little signals, two fingers to signal I’m home, a fist to show Zombies here, three fingers to show I’m going out to get water and/or food, and there is one signal that we will hopefully never use: one finger. Meaning we’ve lost someone.