Chapter twelve- friends?

“Walking sucks.”

“You suck”

“Thanks, love you too.”

We have been walking almost straight for the past three days, stopping at different zombie-free places for five minute increments. We’d exited Florida and we’re now somewhere in the middle of Georgia, maybe not, I just don’t know anymore. We’ve now stopped in an abandoned library for a quick rest and to see if we can find anything to eat and some water. I sit down in a soft chair, that’s actually not so soft anymore. Cooper is being quiet and sitting on the floor, playing with the hem of his dress. Danni is running around to find some food.

“What do you think Cooper, do you think that there are other people out there?”

He shrugs, “I’m thirsty, that’s the only thing that matters to me.”

I sigh, he’s right. We have been able to scrounge up just enough water to keep us alive. It’s left me feeling like shit, but I can’t really do much about it. I’m always thirsty and dry-mouthed. I feel like somebody shoved a sponge in my mouth and soaked up all the water, leaving my tongue, gums, and the rest of my mouth a dry, barren wasteland.  I’m kind surprised I can still talk.

Next thing I know, we hear this ear piercing scream from upstairs. It sounds kind of like Danni, but I couldn’t make it out. Cooper and I give each other this “Holy fucking shit” look and then race upstairs.

Panic surges through me. What if there was a zombie? Then the chance of all of us dying is big. What if she fell and broke a bone? How would we keep going? There are so many possibilities.

What we find is not what we expected.

Danni is lying on the floor, clutching her thigh. Her face is scrunched into a tight grimace. Huddled around her are three other humans. One has blond hair down to her shoulders, one has thick, light brown hair that falls past her waist and one has the same colored hair as me. It seems to come to about mid-chest as far as I can tell, but she is looking down and it kind of falls in front of her face. I can’t tell if the last one is a boy or a girl. They have strawberry blonde hair that is a little past their ears. I can’t see any of their faces, even though they are all turned towards me.

My jaw drops to the floor. Humans? Am I serious? I turn towards Cooper whose eyes look like basketballs. His lips are slightly parted in aw. He looks adorable, as usual.

The one with past-the-waist-light-brown hair looks up at me.

“Two more?” She says. She doesn’t sound that surprised, calm almost.

She looks down at Danni then looks back at us.

“We accidently shot her.”

I just stare at her. It’s understandable; I would have shot too.

The girl rolls her eyes and stands up. She walks over to us and holds out her hand, which is covered in Danni’s blood.

“Victoria.” She says. I shake her hand. She motions to the other two humans.

“This is Conor and Kaitlyn.” The one that looks like me looks up. She waves at me and smiles. I smile back. Not only did I find other humans, but I found what could be my twin sister, if I had one.

Conor doesn’t look up, he’s busy cleaning up the bullet wound, cleaning Danni’s wound. How did they find gauze and stuff? All of a sudden I remember my nose. Is it healed? I hadn’t even thought of that. I want to touch it but I don’t cause that would probably look weird.

I manage to squeak out words.

“How…. How long have you been here?”

“A few months.” Victoria replies.