We Play Mario Kart with an Angry Demon

So we finally got to Charlotte, our last stop before New Orleans. It was supposed to be quick, just grab some snacks and wait for the next bus, but it didn't go that way.

"Oh, sweet!" Percy said, jumping out of the bus. Kalos jumped out of my bag and headed off, but I wasn't worried about him getting lost anymore. Besides, he was probably tired of being in a bag, and of our messing around.

The bus dropped us off at one of the biggest tourist attractions in Charlotte: The Motor Speedway. Tons of NASCAR races have happened here.

"The Charlotte Motor Speedway," Annabeth sighed. "Designed and built by Bruton Smith, who also owns several other speedways. There's so much more he could have done with this one. The entryway arch is a bit disappointing in real life, and it could have been-"

"Oh come on! It's a race track Annabeth, not a piece of art. Let's go check it out!" Percy ran off to the stadium, leaving us behind.

"Um, doesn't it cost money to get in there?" I asked.

"Yeah, lots of money. Let's get him out of there before we get in trouble."

We ran after Percy through the massive crowds of people.

"Oh my god!" I whispered, watching as Percy slipped through the gate that was supposed to close off the entryway arch. Didn't he have any common sense?

"Percy!" Annabeth tried to call after him, but he had already managed to get into one of the stalls for the cars. We squeezed through the gate after him.

"Percy, we're not supposed to be here!" Annabeth whispered harshly.

"Yeah, but it's only for a few seconds. Look at this Camaro!" he ran his fingers across the smooth glassy finish of a very expensive-looking car.

"Boy, if Gabe saw me driving this," he laughed, opening the door of the car.

"Percy!" Annabeth whispered.

"Hey, has anyone checked 29 yet?" Someone asked.

"Uh oh," I said quietly. "Which number is this?"

"Get Percy out of here. I'll deal with that!"

"Wait!" I sighed as she ran off, giving me the shut up and do as I say look.

"Percy, stop being stupid! Let's get out of here!"

"Okay, okay, jeez. Live a little," he grumbled, starting to get out of the car

"Yes, have some fun. I'm sure the Titan Perseus doesn't mind," someone cackled from behind me.

I turned around to see a huge purple guy with... one eye...

"The Titan has big plans, and you immature twats won't be the ones to foil them!" he cackled, and I swear the ground shook. I froze.

"Quick, get in here!" Percy yanked me inside the car and flipped a switch.

"Don't you need a key?" I asked nervously as the monster behind us roared.

"Nope! This is NASCAR, baby!"

The engine whirred to life, and he didn't give it a second to breathe before slamming on the gas just as I realized there was no seat belt.

"Ugh, not again!" The grey sisters were enough high-speed racing for me.

"Hang on!"

He smashed right through the barrier and onto the race track.