Some Girls are Literally Snakes

As someone who moves from school to school a lot, there's one thing I've learned: The longer the name, the worse it is.

My name is Bella Cooper, and I'm one of the girls who attend Lowell's Private Academy for Young Women. Lowell's is pretty much a finishing school, but modernized. The school is for snooty rich couple's even snootier daughters, so every day is basically a kids' version of 'The Real House Wives of Beverly Hills'. They turn any girl into a brain-washed, perfect, pretty little trophy wife.

Of course, there's always one prettier and more perfect girl in the bunch, and that would be Heather. Everyone loves her. She's got the perfect hourglass body shape and ideal height, slim nose and big emerald eyes, and wavy golden hair. Everyone wore the same maroon uniform, but hers always looked extra shiny and new. To make matters worse, her dad was the principal, so she got away with everything. She was sitting at the front of the class, teaching some of the younger girls how to write in cursive. A useless skill, in my opinion.

I was sitting by myself at the side, as usual. I used to sit in the back, but I was moved up for 'behavioural reasons', whatever that means. I was pretty much the only girl here who actually had her own personality and wanted to keep it that way. That's probably why I got sent here, honestly.

Our socials teacher, Mrs. Tinsell, walked into the classroom and glared at the bracelets on my wrist. What a crime, to express yourself! I held in a sigh and braced for the lecture I was about to get.

"Ms. Cooper," she hissed, loud enough for everyone to hear. "what on earth is on your wrists?"

She snatched them before I could say anything.

"And go wash off that hideous make-up."

I sighed as the girls behind me giggled with manicured fingers covering their lip-glossed mouths.

"Now," Mrs. Tinsell growled.

I got up and walked to the bathroom, trying not to let her get under my skin. Mrs. Tinsell's class was the one I hated the most because she was the only one who went out of her way to make me feel miserable.

I pushed open the door and looked into the mirror. Dark hair, dark makeup, really annoyingly pale skin, and amber eyes that just looked creepy. Sighing, I turned on the faucet. I was only dressing the way I felt. I didn't realize that some feelings were invalid.

Grumbling, I splashed my face with some cold water.

"Hey, Bella?" A small voice asked from the door.

"What is it, Daisy?" I snapped.

Daisy was a little girl who got bullied a lot. She was my roommate and started clinging to me ever since she got here. She had a wheelchair because of some sort of muscle illness in her legs, which made for a lot of gossip.

She looked at me, hurt.

"Sorry," I muttered. "I'm just... having a bad day."

"I know. I wanted to make sure you were okay."

She pulled her wheelchair up to the sink beside me. I looked at my reflection. Most of the dark make-up was gone, but I left the remaining eyeliner where it was. My eyes looked small and gross without it.

Then I looked at Daisy's reflection. She had pink plastic glasses that looked pretty old, and they made her look really childish. Her pleated skirt was way longer than the other girls', almost down to her shins. Also, her dress shirt was wrinkled and had a few stains. I still don't know why or how she ended up here, because she didn't seem like she had a whole lot of money.