Chapter 14: Arrival in England

"Carter Smith, my lady"

Five Days Later

Y/N's POV

I stood by the king on the ramp that led down to the docks as some soldiers lowered it. I took shaky breaths, nervous to get off of the ship I had been on for a week.

The last five days have each been the same: Me sitting around listening to the king blabber on about the war and other king things. It was quite boring really, but I would have preferred it over the stress of going to the castle again.

I woke from my thoughts as a loud thump sounded from in front of me: the sound of the ramp hitting the dock.

I nervously looked up at the king who smiled encouragingly at me, putting an arm around me and pulling me closer. "It'll be fine, darling." he assured me.

My light blue dress swished behind me as we made our way down the ramp, the salty sea air blowing my hair in the wind

I gulped as we walked along the dock and stared ahead at the kingdom I had been to just a few weeks ago, yet somehow it seemed different this time. People flooded the streets, going about their business, unaware of my misery.

My eyes landed on a little boy who looked to be about three years old holding his mother's hand as they walked down the street. I smiled, a warm feeling bubbling inside of me, as he waved at me. I waved back and he giggled.

"They already love you, dear." George said beside me, squeezing my hand. I blushed a little and looked away from his icy blue eyes as he smiled at me.

"Look! It's the king!"

"Who's that girl with him?"

"Is he holding her hand?"

Heat rushed to my cheeks as people pointed and talked amongst themselves as George and I climbed into a carriage, a soldier holding the door open.

I looked back at the little boy and smiled slightly before taking George's hand and allowing him to help me into the horse-drawn carriage.

(A/N: Something like this but the horses don't have that stuff on their heads and it's not a wedding lol)

I sat down beside him inside of it and stared out the window as we rode off through the village. "Love?" I hummed know response, not looking at George as he spoke.

"I know you're nervous, love, but everything will be fine. The people will love you, we'll get you settled into the castle, and then we can all relax and you can enjoy your new life." George assured me.

"But I don't want a new life........" I muttered, holding in tears.

The king put a hand over mine as in rested on the seat in between us and rubbed the top of it with his thumb.

Soon, we stopped at the grand entrance of the castle and I gulped, looking up at the pointy towers. The door to the carriage opened and the chauffeur took my hand. I picked up my dress slightly by the front and stepped out, thanking the chauffeur as I looked up at the intimidating building in front of me.

I jumped as King George appeared by my side and took my hand, leading me up the steps and through the doors.

Behind us, the twenty soldiers that came with the king to America climbed off of their horses and handed the lead ropes to a stable boy before following us into the castle.

"Until your room is done, you'll have to stay in a guest bedroom. Smith, come with me. The rest of you can go back to your normal posts." King George ordered. I took a shaky breath as I followed him up a staircase, a familiar soldier following a few steps behind me. He had short brown hair, brown eyes, and a serious face.

As we continued our way through the halls of the castle that I knew I would get lost in, I realized the soldier was the one who saved me from drowning in the ocean. I decided not to say anything since we were now walking into a room.

 I decided not to say anything since we were now walking into a room

It was very fancy. The bed was neatly made with silky pillows and blankets and the frame was golden and sparkling clean. There was beautiful decorations all over the walls; mirrors, candles, and paintings, and a sofa on the wall by a door that I guessed lead to a bathroom. There was also a wooden writing desk with some parchment, a quill, and some ink.

But the thing I noticed the most was that there were no windows. None.

"It's........beautiful......" I said in amazement, trying to ignore the window problem. "Well, it'll do for now. Until your personal room is ready."

I turned around as George finished speaking and saw him standing beside the soldier near the door. "You're wondering why Smith is here, I'm guessing?" I nodded. "He is going to be your personal guard. He'll be making sure you're safe and keeping you from trying to escape." George explained.

I turned to him and smiled as he straightened his redcoat uniform. "Carter Smith, my lady." he said proudly.

"You can just call me, Y/N." I said and I watched as he relaxed slightly. "I hope we can be friends, Carter." He smiled slightly. "I'd like that."

*Timeskip*

The king, Carter, and I walked backed to my room after dinner, George's arm around me as he pulled me close to him.

Once we got into the room, he walked over to the bed and picked up something, holding it out to me. "Here's your nightgown. You can go and get changed."

I took it and walked into the bathroom. After I was changed, I put my hand on the doorknob to open the door, but realized that Carter was in there. I was sort of embarrassed, being in my nightwear in front of someone I barely knew. "I don't want to come out!" I shouted through the door.

I heard feet coming to the door and it opened, King George walking in and shutting it halfway behind him.

"You don't have to be embarrassed, love. Come here." I gasped softly as he picked me up bridal style and carried me out of the bathroom. I felt Carter's curious eyes on me and gulped as the king set me on the bed.

"See. Not so bad." he said, pulling the covers over me. I settled into the bed, getting comfortable as George kissed my head and squeezed my hand. "Goodnight, love. I'll come back for you in the morning."

"Goodnight." I mumbled as he walked out of the room, Carter going behind him, I'm guessing to stand outside the door. The wooden door closed and I closed my eyes, gulping as I heard the terrifying sound of the door locking.

A/N: In case there was any confusion, I know Samuel Seabury is a bishop, but for this story we are going to make him the king's royal advisor. Just so he can be there the whole time because he's so sweet and deserves to be in the story bunch. Just wanted to clarify.

Vote, comment, share! Happy reading! :)