Chapter 149: The Flow

Comincia dall'inizio

Luckily, Ederwood's trade deal with Elysium Cove ensured the army had ample resources to continue their conquest without fear of Imperium cutting off their supply line. Confident in the supply line, the Ederwood army not only managed to secure a base for themselves but had steadily pushed their way into the country. If it were not for the orcs who regularly carried out sabotage missions on the rear bases, the progress would have been faster.

"It's strange," Akiko muttered. "Orcs are supposed to be instinctive creatures. Who taught them tactics?"

"I've been wondering the same thing myself," Natsu replied in a frustrated tone. "If they remained the way they should, we would have long conquered Daggerfall."

"I believe the key to our victory lies in figuring out the source of their improved intellect," Akiko put forward. She looked up from her plate to meet Natsu's intense gaze. "Can I take a small team and check it out?"

"I know you're only doing this to satisfy your curiosity." Natsu let out a wry smile. "But, it does not change the nature of the situation. If there is indeed something or someone increasing the orc's intelligence, I want that thing." Natsu tapped on the table. "Take Farsight's team. Remember, safety is your number one priority. It'll take too long to level up your secondary character."

Ken inwardly sighed as he watched Akiko happily agree to her assignment. It looked like he would have to deal with the orcs on his own.

"Ken-san, about your orc problem," Akiko started, causing Ken to raise his head rapidly, ears peeled as if afraid to miss a single word. "I suggest raiding the orc settlements in the area."

"We already tried that," Ken revealed with a sigh. "Didn't take."

"You're doing it wrong," Akiko softly stated. "Next time you raid, disable the adults and take the children hostage. Repeat this for as many settlements as you can, then release a statement challenging the orcs to an all-out battle to determine the owner of the land."

Ken's eyelids jumped as a cold shiver ran up his spine. "Th-that's too despicable! We will be hated!"

"There's no such thing as despicable in war," Akiko calmly rebutted. "Besides, this is a videogame. Those guys are just computer codes, no matter how realistic they look."

"Ah, yeah. You're right." Ken struggled to calm the jitters in his heart. Although he was one who enjoyed fighting, such tactics left a bitter taste in his mouth. "What should we do if they refuse to take up the challenge?"

"Make an example out of the hostages," Akiko said with nonchalance. "Kill one child and display their corpse for every day they hesitate. If the rebels still refuse to face you in open combat, you won't even have to do a thing. Their fellow orcs will seek them out and destroy them. After all, it's not like you're asking them to surrender to a definite death, but instead requesting a formal battle. Any still refusing you would be seen as a coward by the battle-hungry orcs."

Ken swallowed hard. He raised a hand to his forehead, only to discover a pool of sweat. As expected of Akiko. This girl was often quiet and reserved, but the kind thoughts that ran through her head were on another level. Whenever she opened her mouth, she would seemingly effortlessly solve whatever issue was plaguing the guild members. A significant portion of the reason why their guild rose to prominence so quickly in Ederwood was as a result of Akiko's unscrupulous means and ideas.

"Ah, yeah," Ken muttered. "I'll do that. Than-"

"Look who just walked in," Saitou interrupted with a dark glint in his eyes.

"Who?" Ken, who had his back to the entrance, turned around in time to see Suzuki's indifferent expression as he walked to the buffet trays. His brows immediately squeezed in a tight wrinkle. "Ah, it's that cocky guy."