Chapter Eighteen

He felt hollow and lifeless.
He didn't know how long had passed just that he had remained in the same position for days on end trying to make sense of everything.

It was raining, right?

He had no idea.

He stared into the distance, it had gotten dark. Darkness did set here, he realized.

But there were no stars. The darkness depicted how he felt perfectly—alone.

The cold caress of the rain seemed ineffective on his skin; for some reason, he couldn't feel it. He just sat there in the downpour, his clothes wet.

"For how long are you going to sit there and mop, Jake. Do you miss her?" Lightning struck overhead and William didn't move a muscle, he was as still as a statue.

He'd been like that for five days now, it seemed Fil was tired of it. He hadn't said a word since they'd returned.

"Do you miss her fuzzy brown eyes?" Will heard the crunching of wet sand behind him as the rain intensified,

"Do you miss her smile, her scent?"

The crunching stopped. Fil leaned down behind him.

"She used you, she abandoned you. She made choices that weren't hers to make. She doesn't love you, she never did and you know it." he whispered,

"Nobody did, not your sister, not your mother,"

"Not your father." William's eyes lowered.

"There's a reason you're here Will. You have a purpose and to fulfil it, you'll have to forget your past and the people in it."

"The world is a dark place, it's only right we make it burn, what did it ever do for us?"

"I'm a bastard, exiled by my own father, and sent here to pay for my sins." A burst of damning laughter erupted from his lips and lightning struck even more fiercely.

At that moment, he looked madder than any hatter.

"What a load of crap. I'll destroy every single thing he loves, and you're going to help me, Will."

William turned his head for the first time since he began talking.

"How do you know my real name?"

Fil smirked.

"Who do you think brought you here in the first place?"

"That mark," Fil pointed to his palm,
"belongs to me."

There was silence—the only thing that could be heard was the pitter-patter of rain as it met the sand.

"You know who I am now, don't you." Fil's mouth contorted into a grin.

William felt a haze come over him that he could not explain.

He's coming for what's his.

Williams's eyes widened slightly as it all clicked.

"You're him." He whispered.

"Bingo, in the flesh."

"What are you doing here, aren't you supposed to be all dark and ugly? You're supposed to be bound."

"I am, but I'll become free, soon enough." Fil eyed him.

"You're not what I expected. I'm not even afraid of you." William said monotonously, almost puzzled.

Fil chuckled.

"You're not the one I want to scare William."

{¶{¶{¶{¶{¶}