Alyssa replied in affirmative as she moved toward me and gave me a hug as well.

"How are you, darling?" She asked.

"I am fine, Miss Giovanni." I reply with a smile. "How're you?"

"Just fine, lovely." She said with a wave of her hand. "You look lovely, by the way."

Awe. "Thank you, you look rather gorgeous yourself."

She was wearing a knee length half sleeved lace blue dress with Sapphire earrings to match.

"Don't make me feel good about my wrinkles." She admonished examining me at arms length.

"Are you well? I hear you fell sick." She added.

"I am fine, Miss Giovanni." I replied reassuringly.

"Call me Alyssa." She said, with a motherly glaze on her eyes.

I smiled at her.

"Right." She exhaled. "I have to talk to you, in the parlour, shall we?"

"Ovviamente." Angelo said, popping the button of his suit jacket open and walked behind his mother while leading me along with a his hand pressed against the small of my back.

(Of course)

Angelo took his seat on a single sofa whole I shared the couch with Alyssa facing the man in the room.

His hands resting on the armrest.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" Angelo asked looking pensive yet rapt.

There was a moment of silence.

Almost two minutes of very pregnant silence in the room, the only sound from the grandfather clock's pendulum moving.

"Okay." Alyssa sighs.

"Okay." Angelo replies, his right pointer finger pressed to his mouth.

"What is it, mama?" He urged.

"I'm getting married." Alyssa blurts.

Angelo sits up straight, popping his suit button close. "What?"

"I am getting married." She repeats in a smaller tone.

I automatically glance at her hands placed one on top of the other on her lap.

There was a rock on her ring finger.

You better be nice, Angelo. I think to myself as I watch the reaction of the women.

"I thought of letting Lorenzo officially declare it over dinner tonight, but I just wanted you to know first. In private."

Angelo nods.

"So-" She presses, as if wanting some kind if reaction from Angelo.

Maybe a response.

A yell. Or throwing the vase.

Maybe a congratulations.

But the man stays silent.

It was maddening silence around the room.

Angelo looked at his mother intently while she found everything else to look at but him while I just sat there silent and watched the pair freak out on the inside.

"Show me your ring." I said enthusiastically, unable to bare the uncomfortable silence, shuffling closer to the older women who looked happy till Angelo decided he'd act like an insolent asshole and not even give the women a positive reaction.