9

Jeongin felt light headed the moment he stepped into school. It took so much effort to take just one step. He had to endure. What else could he do?

He felt a pang of guilt when he saw Seungmin. Despite the cuts and bruises over his face, he was still smiling and conversing, happily.

Jisung noticed how tired and clearly ill Jeongin was. He put a hand on his shoulder.

"Are you ok?" He asked, quietly so as to not disturb the other two who were in a heated debate over whether dogs or cats were cuter. "Do you want to go to the nurse?"

Jeongin shook his head. There was no point in bothering the nurse because he had a headache. He felt uncomfortable around nurses and doctors anyways.

"I'm just gonna go and wash my face."

"I'll come with you."

Jisung led him to the nearest bathroom. Jeongin splashed the cold water on his face and sighed, deeply.

"Is anything wrong?" Jisung asked, cautiously.

"I'm just... stressed." Jeongin replied. It was partially true.

"Is it because of Hyunjin?" Jisung whispered. Jeongin felt a lump in his throat as he contemplated whether or not he could confide in Jisung. Eventually, taking a deep breath he began.

"I feel so guilty." He muttered. "Did you see Seungmin's face? It's all my fault. I shouldn't have provoked Hyunjin the second I got here. I... I shouldn't have come here at all."

"Nothing's your fault, Jeongin." Jisung frowned, as he placed a hand on Jeongin's shoulder, assuringly. "Hyunjin has always been-"

"No, he hasn't!" Jeongin cried. "He never used to be this... this bully. This bad guy. And it's my fault that he is now."

Jisung could tell that it wasn't best to continue asking questions, so he stayed silent.

"You go ahead, I'll see you after class." Jeongin mumbled, holding his head in his hands. Jisung nodded and left, silently.

Jeongin looked at himself in the mirror. He looked like a ghost; his eyes were dark and hollow, and his cheeks were sullen. He had lost so much weight in the past few days, he looked as if he would shatter at the slightest touch.

He gathered himself together and decided to go to class, until he heard a flush and froze. In the mirror he saw the reflection of Hyunjin coming out of a cubicle. Jeongin gulped and tried to walk out, as if he hadn't seen anyone.

Hyunjin grabbed his wrist, roughly.

"Stop hanging around with those losers, Jeongin." He said, simply.

"What? Why?" Jeongin felt anger build up inside him. Who did he think he was to be telling Jeongin who to be friends with? "That's none of your concern. Don't act like you care; you threw our friendship away a long time ago."

"Just trust me on this one."

"Trust you?" Jeongin asked, incredulously. "Ha! Why would I ever make the mistake of trusting you again?"

"Sometimes being too brave is the problem, Jeongin." He sighed. "You can't be their hero."

"What? Are you asking me to make it easier for you to make their lives hell?" He asked. 

"No I-"

"Let me ask you something." Jeongin interrupted. "Have you seen Seungmin today? At all? I don't think so. But let me tell you that I have seen him and he looks like shit. He can barely open one eye. Don't you feel bad? Don't you regret anything? Why the hell are you even like this?" Jeongin's voice grew louder and louder with each sentence.