26

"So,"  Hyunjin said, awkwardly. "How are you?" 

Once again, Jeongin was caught not knowing what to say because of Hyunjin. If anything, he was more worried about how Hyunjin was doing. 

"I'm... ok." Jeongin replied, quietly.

"Good. I'm glad someone is." Hyunjin muttered, the faintest smile appearing on his face. "How are things with Chan? Are you... happy?" Hyunjin hesitated, probably hoping for the answer to be no, although he already knew this wasn't the case. 

"Yeah, I am." Jeongin said, feeling guilty for some reason. "What about you?" Jeongin asked, suddenly curious, hating the awkward atmosphere. 

"I'm fine." Hyunjin smiled and looked up at Jeongin. One look an Jeongin could tell that he was lying through his teeth. 

Moments of silence passed and Jeongin noticed Minho looking back at them every now and then, waiting for either of them to say something. 

Finally, Hyunjin spoke up. 

"Do you... hate me?" He asked, cautiously. 

How on earth was Jeongin supposed to respond to that? The answer was yes, but why couldn't he bring himself to say it? He stayed silent. 

Hyunjin looked down, holding his head in his hands and whispered something to himself which sounded like "You do." 

Jeongin was about to say something, but Hyunjin began talking before he had the chance. 

"I'm sorry." He said, keeping his voice low so that the others don't hear. He didn't want to ruin the good atmosphere.

"Why..." Jeongin trailed off. Hyunjin was apologising, but for what? For leaving him alone back in high school? For bullying him and his friends? For playing with his feelings? 

"I was an idiot. I don't know why I hurt you so many times, but I... I promise I didn't mean to. I really do care about you and I want you to be happy, although that doesn't include me." He said, his quiet voice becoming shaky as he fought back tears. 

"Hyunjin..." Jeongin really didn't know what to say. 

"Please tell me you forgive me." Hyunjin pleaded. 

Minho turned around and saw Jeongin's shocked expression combined with Hyunjin's teary eyes and nudged Chan. They both seemed to be contemplating whether or not to intervene. 

Jeongin wanted to laugh. That apology was pathetic. Hyunjin had no idea how much he'd put Jeongin through; Jeongin hated him with his whole being. But, why did he want to forgive him? Why did he feel obliged to put a smile on Hyunjin's face? 

"Forget it." Hyunjin muttered, standing up and turning to leave. Minho sighed and got up to run after him. 

"Jeongin." Chan whispered, coming closer and putting an arm around Jeongin, comfortingly. Jeongin rested his head on Chan's shoulder, sighing deeply. 

"Are you ok?" Chan asked. Jeongin shook his head no, as his eyes started tearing up. He felt them roll down his cheeks and buried his face further into Chan's comfort. 

"Minho!" Jisung yelled, as soon as they got home. "What the hell was that?" 

Minho exhaled as he collapsed onto the bed, frustrated that things only got worse for Hyunjin. 

"That was your plan?" Jisung asked, incredulously. 

"Jisung, please don't." Minho said, hiding his face behind his friends. "I'm exhausted enough, today."