12

THE NEXT DAY YOU'RE IN Charms, sitting next to Lux. You were practicing the red sparks charm, Vermillious. This was a Charm that shot red sparks from the end of your wand if you were ever in danger.

"So, you're okay?" Lux asks.

"Yeah, I'm sorry for how I reacted. It's just..." you trail off, you're unsure if Lux will understand why you had an outburst.

"Yeah?"

"Well, I've always been second. I've never come first. It's never been about me. I guess I just didn't want to be second to Pansy, and I freaked out. I couldn't let her speak to me like that either, I don't know who she thinks she is."

"You're right, you can't let her. It's not on and I don't blame you. Actually, I thought you handled it very well. I would have hexed her and sewn her bloody mouth shut."

You both giggle, "anyway, I heard her and Daphne are asking to switch dorms. Good riddance, I say."

"Really?" You say, looking at her. You feel a little bit guilty, but also very pleased you won't have to see them every day. Flitwick comes over to you and Lux. "Well done you two! Marvellous." You continue practicing the charm until the end of class.

At the end of the day, you and Lux head to the great hall for dinner. "Where are the boys?" You ask, looking around. Draco had said he would meet you in the hall.

"Oh, they had to see Umbridge about something. Crabbe and Goyle said they would all be late."

"Oh? What about? They don't have detention, do they? That black quill is bloody awful."

"No," she says in between bites. "Something about a club for extra credit." You furrow your eyebrows at her. "Did Malfoy not mention anything to you?"

"No, he didn't" you continue eating your food, wondering why Draco hadn't mentioned it to you. Odd.

You and Lux give up waiting for the boys and head back to the common room. You both open a bottle of firewhiskey and have a couple of drinks by the fire.

A few drinks later the door to the common room opens and in walk the boys. Draco walks over to you and plants a kiss on your forehead, "hey where've you been? You didn't come to dinner?"

"I just had something I had to do discuss with Umbridge, it took longer than I expected."

"Yeah, Lux mentioned about you doing something for extra credit. How come you didn't tell me?"

"I'm not sure you'll appreciate it, so I just thought I would keep it to myself."

"Appreciate what? I don't understand."

He sighs and runs his hands through his hair, his rings sparkling against the light from the fire. "I'll explain later, okay? There's no need to worry. Promise."

"Okay then, no problem." You smile at him.  You spend the rest of the night in the common room sharing firewhiskey and laughing with your friends. You notice Zabini and Lux glancing at each other throughout the night and make a mental note to ask Lux about what's happening between the two of them later. She had always been there for you, you owed her the same back.

You decide to go back to your dorm with Lux tonight, you're kissing Draco goodbye with your arms around his neck.

"Are you sure I can't convince you to come with me?"

"Hmmmm, as much as I'd like to... I really need to speak with Lux." He cups your face and plants a delicate kiss on your lips, the cold metal of his rings against your face and the taste of peppermint he leaves on your lips leave you craving him. "Are you planning on going to Hogsmeade tomorrow?" You ask.