Longing for Things to Come

Start from the beginning

Robb doubted his step before turning his blue gaze on her. "Content?" He sighed and his eyes softened. "I should be happy, yet I somehow miss the hardships of the battlefield. I became a man among the sound of steel against steel and the smell of blood and burnt flesh. Being a king makes me feel less than such. I'm aware I have everything to make me happy, but I feel trapped."

Dany stopped walking, and at that he stood before her, holding both of her hands in his. "Am I to blame for asking this to you? Did you ever wished to be king?" She smiled sadly at him. "I know you didn't, but I hope you had learned no other life than to command."

"I'm a soldier first, I'm afraid." Robb took her hands to his lips and kissed them. "For you, I'll pretend all you want." He stepped closer and in a whisper said, "I'll be king in name, but you'll be the ruler. I'm yours to command, my Queen."

"Robb. My Wolf," she muttered before he sealed her lips with a warm kiss. His hands cradled her face. She could smell him, feel his warmth. She was surprised of what he was offering. It wouldn't be seen with good eyes if she took his place as a ruler – Westeros wasn't kind to women, much less to those willful and strong. No one would deem proper for Robb to be her husband and not act as kings did.

"Mama!" Tiny steps echoed against the floor, and Dany smiled against Robb's lips. "Papa!" It was Robb the first one to let go, only so he could scoop up Iagan who came followed by Theon. The boy chortled when his father lifted him high so their blue eyes met.

It was difficult to accept this man, a man who was imposed to her and not chosen, could ever give her what she wanted. He offered her much more than expected or what any other man had ever meant.

When Arya arrived, she ran to Iagan and they embraced each other tightly. Dany suspected her son had a soft spot for his aunts, and Arya as the fun one, while Sansa is another mother figure that coddles him. What no one expected to see was Gendry, especially since he seemed worried for Sansa more than for Arya. It took little for Dany to notice the way they look at each other.

Gendry, despite his looks and built, was a gentle man. Sansa after her time spent a prisoner, enduring abuse, was understandably cautious around men, but clearly not so much regarding the Usurper's bastard son. It was surprising than Arya was fine with it, but perhaps she also saw how good they could've been for each other.

Arya squealed but frowned when Robb hugged her, lifting her off the ground. Meanwhile Dany greeted Sansa.

"Do you think we might meet your new child in our time here?"

Dany grinned, lovingly rubbing her stomach. "Only she can tell. Robb is convinced he'll be as stubborn as I am – not that he's any better."

"I'm not as hot-blooded," Robb intervened before pressing a tender kiss to his sister's cheek. "But I can't wait to have that baby in my arms either."

And then Dany knew Robb has spoken the truth. He had acted out of honor, out of loyalty to his father and family, but he never craved to sit on a throne or wear a crown – he had done everything because it was his duty. In her case, blood called her – she was born to be a queen. The Queen.

-o-

"Do you have something to tell me, sister?" Dany asked Sansa carefully as they walked around the Red Keep with arms linked together.

Sansa's gaze fell upon Daenerys. She seemed lost, but when Dany smiled mischievously and mentioned Gendry's name, her cheeks turned pink and she averted her eyes. It was clear she felt embarrassed, though it was hard to say why – there were many reasons, like Arya or her past experiences with love and men. Sansa was a survivor, but that didn't mean she had gotten used to being hurt.