A Bear and A Kraken

Zacznij od początku

"Neither of us would be a good ruler without the other."

"I know."

Yes, they knew that now, but did anyone else realize? They might have been too young and inexperienced, but together they were more than everyone else.

"And about the Kingslayer," she interjected as Robb's eyes followed Iagan every move. "Make him part of my personal guard."

"What?" he hissed, face crumpling into an expression of anger and disbelief. "Are you mad? He killed your father. He must hold a grudge against you and your family and, you want him near?"

She sighed, reaching for his beard covered cheek and smoothing it with her fingers. "It's the only way we can keep an eye on him. Keeping him in a cell will only fuel his hatred toward us. He'll try to escape and that will make him more dangerous to us."

"If he hurts you," he growled, letting the threat hang in the air.

"He won't."

"How do you know that?" He stood straight, tall and handsome. She wished there was an artist who could see his gorgeous image with this imposing figure. He would rule Westeros, Dany knew it. "You haven't been wrong so far but… how can I be sure when there's no proof? You're asking for too much."

She nodded. "Do you know who I thought should love me more than anyone when I was a child?"

He looked at her, just stared because he was a smart man and knew when to keep his mouth shut. He just happened to forget when to keep his heart and mind away from one another; he tended to mix them and take decisions too quickly. Robb was hot-blooded. The wolf blood, even if it was under the rigid control of his manners.

"Viserys wasn't the nicest man, not even to me. But I loved him… and I hated him at the same time." His gaze softened on her. His blue eyes sparkled with kindness. "But he taught me many things. He made me stronger."

"Dany."

"He won't kill me or betray me."

"You can't be sure about that."

An eerie smile took place in her features. "Think about Tywin Lannister finding out his beloved son is under the service of his enemy. And think about offering the Kingslayer a deal: he keeps me safe and you keep his kin safe… or at least give them a chance to surrender."

"Destroy them from within," Robb murmured.

"Yes. We'll take them apart and weaken them. It'll make things easier for us."

He seemed to consider it but soon shook his head. "No. It's too dangerous."

"Dacey will be with me and you know her. She won't doubt to cut his throat open if he even dares to come near me to hurt me." She took a deep breath, her chest filling with the warm air in her chambers. "Trust me."

"I do. You know that. As hard as it was to do so in the beginning, you've earned my trust."

"So?"

He scoffed. "If he even looks at you in a way you don't approve, a way I don't approve, Dacey is allowed to punish him as she deems necessary."

Dany giggled. "She'll love to hear that."

Robb smiled but soon his expression turned sour. "And talking about guards and confidants, there's someone who you need to meet."

-o-

When she saw Jorah for the first time in about a year, Daenerys didn't know what to do.

The man looked older but with the same qualities of strength and kindness she had seen in him despite his not so handsome features. Somehow she noticed how he just fit in the North, that she could see how he had been raised in these lands.