49: Nightmares

Minki walked slowly towards the place that he had been assigned to. It was still deep in the night, not even a slight chance of morning coming in, in the horizon. It made one think that an eternal night lingered over them or that, perhaps the sun, had been finally defeated by the dark vastness of the universe. The forest made it look like the night was even darker. Minki glanced at the scenery above him – there was no stars, nothing to light up the darkness that engulfed him. The chilly frosty breeze swiftly pierced through the trees, weaving through the air creating chills in every body it touched. A puff of air contrasted with the dark scenery every time Minki breathed. His only reminder that he was indeed alive.

From afar, he spotted his supposed group. Taking a deep breath, he prepared himself for the day that awaited to begin. A group of men were standing in a circle all chatting amongst themselves about their task. Minki could hear them discussing strategies, coming up with teams amongst themselves; even different ways of killing were shared as if they were important information one should know. In the midst of all the familiar yet strange faces, Minki spotted one that he had been looking for the past few days. Hurrying up his steps, he marched towards the male that was leaned against one of the trees, his eyes on a notebook.

Abruptly, Minki snatched the notebook from Lucca's hands, catching the boy's attention. When their eyes met, Lucca chuckled dryly.

"Good morning to you too, grumpy pants"

Minki rolled his eyes and sighed. Gently, he closed the notebook and handed it out to Lucca. He scanned the area and tugging on Lucca's black shirt, he dragged him away from the group. When Minki was sure none of them could hear them, he shared a glance with Lucca.

"I had the weirdest uhh..." Minki struggled to explain what he had seen, what to call it, how to process those images in his head. "A... let's call it a nightmare."

Lucca raised his eyebrow in confusion but waited for Minki to finish speaking.

"I saw the Alpha in the woods. He was... eating" Minki whispered the words; his heart beat fast in his chest now that he was saying it out loud. "His diet?"

Hearing those words out loud, really made Minki realize how stupid and ridiculous he sounded. His heart kept on running in his chest, running away from those memories, panting heavily, desperate to drop that day into the void. Minki could never forget it, though. It had been haunting his every move, every thought, every breath, every heartbeat. Lucca's eyes were wide open, yet, he nothing said. Minki wondered if he knew about it at all. Had Minki misunderstood what Lucca had said?

At that moment, Lucca's hand reached for the collar of Minki's shirt. He pulled at it, almost making the boy stumble on his feet. There was a shift in Lucca's eyes. A shift so quick most wouldn't notice. The once calm boy Minki knew, carried a sharp and piercing glare in his eyes.

"Listen, whatever you saw" Lucca warned him. "I suggest you forget it"

"Why?" Minki asked, not being able to keep his curiosity in chains. "Why should I forget it, Lucca?"

"Because it is more dangerous to remember it than to see it" Lucca said, the words confusing Minki even more "So forget it Minki."

"I cannot forget something that haunts me" Minki wouldn't back down easily, not now that he believed Lucca knew more than what he was sharing. "If you want me to forget, you need to tell me why should I do it"

"Do you like trouble that much?" Lucca sighed and loosened his grip from Minki's collar. "Listen, if anybody even slightly suspects that you saw him... doing that... Minki you don't know what is in store for you"