Pt. 33: All This Love

"I'm sorry

"I'm sorry...I'm so fucking sorry, son."

Cami somehow wrestled herself between me and my father, managing to loosen my hold on him enough to separate us. The blood was rushing so loudly in my head that I couldn't hear her speaking to him. She shot me a dirty look when she curled her arm around his bicep and led him to the kitchen. 

I took the time to suck in a few breaths before I joined them. I expected her to offer him a glass of water, maybe a cup of coffee. What I didn't expect was her to be cooking him a full-on Sunday breakfast. "Hungry?" Cami beamed as I moved to stand beside her. "Have some coffee," she urged when I just stopped and stared. 

I glanced at my father as he sat at the kitchen table with his head in his hands. Cami placed a full cup of coffee in front of him and then returned to the stove. "I'm making omelets," she announced. "Just let me know what you want in yours."

When I kept standing there totally dumbfounded, Cami touched my forearm and asked me to get the eggs from the fridge. "What are you doing?" I growled when she took them from my hands.

"Making breakfast. You're grouchy. I thought you could use the protein," she declared happily, as if I hadn't just attacked my father in our living room.

I followed her to the cabinets on the other side of the fridge and grabbed her, pulling her close. "I don't want him here," I whispered. "Don't act like this is some sort of happy reunion."

"It's just breakfast. Calm down," Cami dismissed me.

I moved toward the coffee maker when she left me standing there. I was smart enough to realize she wanted me to make up with him. And she didn't seem to care that I didn't want to.

After I filled my mug and took a couple sips, I announced, "I have a lot to do today. Maybe we could do this some other time?"

"Don't be silly," Cami chided. "I'm already cooking and you're both here. Can't we just share a meal and try to talk things out?" she asked hopefully.

Cami guided me toward the table and handed each of us a small bowl of fruit. "Just nibble on this for a moment and your eggs will be ready soon."

She ignored the way I glared at her. "Stop trying to make this a happy reunion when we both know nothing good can come of this." The words were tumbling out of my mouth before I could stop them. Her shoulders slumped for a moment, but she continued cooking.

"You've got a sweet girl here, Chance. Don't blow it because you're pissed at me," my father tossed out in a warning tone.

"You know what…" I began, only to be stopped by Cami bringing our omelets to the table. 

She shot me a narrowed gaze and clenched jaw that signified she was nearly done with my bullshit. Only to appease her, I sank into the chair opposite my father and began to eat. I snarled like the grouch I was as they began to have a conversation without me.