1

1st September 1991

"Hermione Granger" The Professor you just learned the name of not five minutes ago, Professor McGonagall, announces to the Great Hall, awaiting the next first year to approach the stool where the Sorting Hat is waiting.

You look at her, a quick squeeze to her hand and off she struts, as confident as ever. You wish you could be as confident as Hermione, although she had muggle parents you always knew she was Gryffindor through and through, you had been friends with her since you were both 5. Your parents wanted you to go to a muggle school before you reached the age when you could attend Hogwarts, and you two became the best of friends on the very first day. However, you always doubted whether you were a Gryffindor. Although you and Hermione always spoke of all the things you would do when you were both sorted into Gryffindor, there was something in the back of your mind that told you that these plans were fruitless. Your mother had attended Beaubaxtons and your Dad, well he was a Slytherin. You wanted so bad to be a Gryffindor but right now, you felt anything but courageous.

"GRYFFINDOR!" Your thoughts are interrupted by the sorting hat announcing Hermione's house.

"Rebecca Havelock." is the next name McGonagall reads from her piece of parchment. She looks up, searching the crowd of first years before her. You're frozen to the spot. Bugger, that's you. You shake your head and quickly march forward, your feet doing all the work your brain can't seem to comprehend. You approach the stool and take a seat, before McGonagall gives you a reassuring squeeze on your shoulder.

The Sorting Hat begins, "Ah, another Havelock ey? You can achieve great things, great things indeed. But which house will help you achieve this greatness? I say.... SLYTHERIN!!!" The Slytherin table is in uproar, shouting and clapping for you. Your eyes quickly search the tables for Hermione, when your eyes fall on her you see her expression is blank. All colour drained from her face. You turn away and walk towards the Slytherin table.

1st September 1995

4 years later, the train ride to Hogwarts is very different to your first journey there. You sit beside your best friend, Lux Thompson, sharing a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. You and her became best friends in first year, after your sorting left you with no friends in your house. You sat next to her and she turned to you, hand outstretched.

"Lux Thompson is the name, and you are?" You couldn't help admire how beautiful she was. Her piercing blue eyes against her tan skin and black hair striking beautiful, she had her hair pulled back into a ponytail but small pieces had fallen out, framing her face perfectly.

"Hi, my name is Rebecca Havelock" you respond as you grab her outstretched hand. "Pleased to meet you." You two were almost inseparable since.

Now, 4 years later, here you both were, laughing together and sharing your stories from summer. Opposite you is Daphne Greengrass and Pansy Parkinson. Daphne and Pansy were best friends. You were very fond of Daphne, she was always kind to you and tried to include you in conversations when Lux wasn't there. Pansy, you weren't so fond of. She never warmed to you, always shooting you cold looks and rolling her eyes when you spoke. Though you had never bothered to ask, you were sure she was simply sucking up to Malfoy. He could never stand you either, always shouting "Shut up, blood traitor" whenever you spoke, with that stupid smirk on his face. That stupid smirk that all summer you couldn't get out of your head.

Then there he is, at the door to your compartment, smirking and laughing with your mutual friends. His eyes fall on you, simultaneously cutting your conversation short, he stares right down into you before breaking his gaze to lug his bag on the over head rails. Zabini, Nott, Crab and Goyle closely following him. The Slytherin Prince, as he was known as, and you could see why. Although his distaste for you was abundantly clear, you couldn't deny how beautiful he was, his jaw line sharp and sculpted, the way his platinum hair would fall over those vacant eyes that you could never read. He takes a seat next to Pansy, who immediately begins fawning over him. This brings you back to reality as you roll your eyes and sit up straight, finger twirling your long, chestnut hair. You turn your attention to the window and see the trees fly past, blurs of green and brown melting into one.

"How was your summer Bec?" Your attention is pulled away from the scenery by Zabini, who suddenly ended up sitting next to you without you realising. "Great, thanks for asking. How about yours?" You ask, but before he can respond, Malfoy interrupts with his same old line. "Shut up, blood traitor." Pansy has started glaring at you, looking you up and down. He starts again, "no one cares about your pathetic summer with your stupid mudblood friend. Why are you even sitting here?" Your gaze flits to Lux, hoping she will save you. But before she can, you hear Zabini huff next to you.

"This again, mate? When are you going to give it a rest? Becca is a part of our friend group and has been for the past 4 years. And as a matter of fact, I care about her 'pathetic' summer" he says, using air quotes as he speaks. You glance at him, giving him a small, grateful smile. Everyone in the compartment goes back to their own conversations after a few seconds of silence.

"Just ignore him, yeah? He's been going through it lately."

"Yeah," you brush it off, but wonder what he means by that. "Thanks for sticking up for me, you didn't have to do that"

"I know, but I wanted to. I really am interested in how your summer went. Get drunk and spew again?" You nudge him playfully in the arm.

"Hey! That was one time! You can't keep -" you're interrupted by Nott.

"Bec, it's literally every time we drink. You girl, need to learn how to handle your firewhiskey!" He says before bursting into laughter.

"Okay, maybe more than once. But I vow that this is the year I am going to learn how to handle my drink." The whole compartment has apparently fell quiet and heard your announcement. They all burst into laughter, you roll your eyes and playfully bat your hand at them all before your eyes meet Malfoy's. He's staring at you, his lips curled down at the sides in distaste and his dark eyebrows raised, much too dark for his head of platinum hair. His icy, grey eyes are narrowed at you. You blush under his heated stare and quickly look away, willing the train to go faster so you can just get to Hogwarts already.

A/N- Hi! I really hope you enjoyed the first chapter. If you could please take a minute and vote/comment/share it would mean the world to me! Thank you 💕