epilogue.

Poseidon raged. The gods were barely able to stop him from ravaging the earth, destroying the Empire State Building. But they did, and the god was put to sleep for a while, to prevent damage. The mortal world had been temporarily flooded, though, and Zeus wasn't being accepted with the happiest glances, or friendliest smiles. But Ukulwa had done what he needed. The gods met with Percy's friends, apologizing profusely for the damage that couldn't be reserved.

"Please, Annabeth." Athena begged for her daughter to understand. Annabeth looked away.

"No. This is all your fault. An apology won't do anything." Athena glared daggers at her father, who sighed.

"Demigods." His voice boomed, echoing around the room. "I have come up to a decision. On behalf of my ignorance and action, or lack thereof, I will take full responsibility for this. From now on, I decree that the gods are to keep the creatures of Tartarus under control." He lifted his chin, blinking slowly.

"Really?" Ukulwa's eyes shined with tears. "Do you mean it?"

"...Yes."

"Wait! We can't take this!" Annabeth cried out, grabbing onto Ukulwa's arm. "This isn't enough for Percy's death! Nothing will be!"

"Annabeth. This is what Percy would have wanted. This is what he fought for." Piper gently pulled her friend away. Annabeth bit her lip, her eyebrows furrowing.

"Thank you, Zeus." Ukulwa bowed genuinely. "Thank you."

--

Ukulwa stood at the destroyed lake. Nymphs giggled from the other side of the lake. Half of it was covered by immovable rock. Maybe this was Percy's way of making sure they would remember him. How could anyone forget him, anyways?

"I have failed you, Enkataleimménos."

"Ukulwa?" A voice jolted him from his thoughts. Chiron stood beside him, his face worn with age, as if the one battle had cost him twenty years of his life.

"Chiron." There was no hostility in his voice anymore. The demigods to come were safe, and that was all that mattered. Chiron heard the forgiveness in his voice, and embraced him with one arm.

"Where will you go?"

After a moment, the blue-eyed half-blood answered. "Circe's island."

"Has she accepted you?"

"Yes. Hecate has talked to her. I've met her as well."

Silence. The two men wistfully gazed into the sky.

"Have a fine journey, Ukulwa. I hope you find peace within your people."

"Thank you." And with that, Chiron watched Ukulwa raise his cloak for the last time, as he disappeared in a whirlwind of glitter.

--

Jason sat on his bed. His cabin had never felt more empty. The ghost of his friend haunted him. He saw him everywhere; uncapping Riptide in the arena, calling his name. He'd shout, "Jason! Come spar with me!" And Jason would turn away to the lake, where Percy sat on the boulders, swinging his legs. "Jason! Bro!" And when he ran to the pavilion, there he was again, stabbing a fork into his blue pancakes. "Hey! Jason!"

"Jason!"

"Jason, come spar!"

"Jason, what's up!"

"Jason!" He wanted to cut off his ears, gouge out his eyes. Too much, it was too much. So there he was in his cabin, blocking out the noise. His cabin door swung open: there stood Piper, her orange shirt muddy in the moonlight.

"It's midnight already?"

"Jason." She said curtly. They'd made up the other day, but none of them forgave him just yet. "Let's go, it's time."

"I don't want to."

"You have to." She replied flatly. He knew that too. So he followed her out to the woods, where a blue and black casket lay in a ditch. Nico glared at him as he made his way over.

Unlit candles were splayed around the friends, who kneeled on the ground. Jason gaped in awe at the amount of candles. Annabeth's eyes met Jason's for a split second. Her eye bags were heavy, and she looked as if she hadn't eaten in days.

Chiron stood in front of them, eyes lowered.

"This is to Percy Jackson; hero, demigod, and most importantly, friend." 

He cleared his throat. The demigods waited expectantly. With a shaky hand, he held a lighter to a candle.

"May Artemis immortalize you in the stars; may you make the earth your eternal home."

And the world around them erupted in flames.

-

-

-

-

-

FIN

thank you for reading the weight of the world.