Chapter 32: Modern Day Lesson Thirty One

Start from the beginning

"Do not compare us to you, in fact!! Betty has done her research!! Macbeth, Julius Caesar, Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, written by William Shakespeare--!!" Beatrice started listing all the books in the pile as she stuffed them under Subaru's nose, and Subaru's expression was plummeting from a triumphant smile to a defeated frown faster than the speed of light. "While you were teaching Betty and the others about your world, we didn't just only learn what you decided to teach us, in fact! We've done our research properly!! Betty now possesses much more literary knowledge than you do, Betty supposes!" Beatrice shouted. "Ah... I didn't really do that though..." Emilia said awkwardly, still trying to interfere. "Don't worry, Subaru-kun!! Even though Subaru-kun might have the least amount of literary knowledge among us, especially compared to Beatrice-sama, Rem will always be on Subaru-kun's side!! If Subaru-kun says they're nightmare fuels, then Rem will view them that way!!" Rem said with sincere encouragement in her voice. "Rem-rin you're not helping!!!" Subaru shouted with tears bursting out her eyes. "Barusu, Ram appreciates your effort in being the dumbest of us all. This serves as an excellent source for Ram's mental relaxation." Ram said, smiling and throwing another chip in her mouth.

"Fine fine fine fine, what do you want then?? Want me to read them again??" Subaru asked, picking up one of the books, but Beatrice snapped it out of his hand. "No!! Betty will be the one reading them, in fact!! You keep your unappreciative hands off them, Betty supposes!! Hmph!!" She snapped, picked up the books carefully, and left the rest of them standing in front of the storage room. "Thanks for the show, Barusu. Now Ram can continue her studying with her relaxed mind and this fresh memory of Barusu being completely defeated by Beatrice-sama." Ram said and threw the rest of the chips in her mouth and left as well. "Eto... Subaru, I didn't read any of those books either so don't feel sad, ne?" Emilia said, patting him on the shoulder. "Yes, Subaru-kun! No need to worry! If Subaru-kun feels it is necessary to gain the knowledge of those works of literature, Rem can read them to you as bedtime stories!" Rem said in the same encouraging voice. Subaru buried his face in his hands and let out an exceptionally long groan.

After that, Beatrice refused to talk to Subaru and started reading those books that were now sparkling clean. Subaru also chose to just put up with her and focus on his own business as he was already too busy for his own good. The other girls didn't worry about the two too much either as this was just another of their usual rows. Nothing special happened since, and they were once again preoccupied with their studying. And soon, as time went on, the two began talking again, just as usual. In the following uneventful days, it might have been the quietest since the five had arrived at this apartment. And since it was so quiet and uneventful, it seemed appropriate to put our attention, for the first time, back on the other side.

It was the break of dawn, and villagers in the Alam Village were waking up one by one. The children and the elderlies opened their eyes the earliest, then the younger adults, and as the sun showed its bright face over the top of the trees, everyone in the village was gathered together, ready for the daily radio calisthenics. "Yoooooosh!! Radio taisou daiichi!! Se, no!" Under Lucas, Petra, and the other children's lead, the villagers started their morning routine. Everyone moved together in unison, their arms waving up and down and left and right. The children were leading the exercise energetically, the adults were looking at them approvingly, smiling, and the elderlies, though their movements were less vigorous, followed along with relaxed expression. However, in such an energetic atmosphere, that one voice that could bring everyone's spirits to the peak was absent, absent for a while now.

Soon, the morning routine ended. The children went to collect their stamps, now made by their parents, and the adults brought out their breakfast, and the whole village ate together under the morning sunshine. If a traveler were to come across them, that person would, no doubt, be affected by the energetic and harmonious air and want to join them. Yet, something, something crucial in the village was still missing. Lucas, Petra, Mild, and the other kids grabbed their breakfast and sat down on the tree stumps and benches outside their house. They ate oddly silently for children their age, and as Petra finished about half of her meal, she looked up and broke the silence.