22

Heaven

To say that I was nervous would be an understatement. I was downright scared. Never in my life have I done anything like this and here I was, doing it for the first time. Thinking back to the moment I made the decision, I could only think about how I gathered courage to do that. Nonetheless, I don't regret my decision. In fact, no matter how nervous I am, another part of me was actually very thrilled and excited for what was to come.

I looked at my reflection on the mirror. I was dressed in a pair of light blue skinny jeans and a yellow top, and pulled a white cardigan over it. I put my hair in a high ponytail with a few strands falling gracefully over my face. I kept my makeup minimal, just eyeliner and a light lip colour. I took a last look at my reflection and satisfied, picked up my purse and left my room.

I walked into the living room and found June, Judy and her bunch of kids all over the couch, watching a movie very intently. I cleared my throat to get their attention and only Judy looked up. Her face lit up once she saw me.

"Oh gosh Heaven! You look so cute! I swear that man is going to fall on his knees once he sees you today." Judy gushed and I rolled my eyes. But I still let a small smile come over my face.

"Thank you for the compliment Judy, but I have to leave. I can't be late. Can you believe it? I'm taking a guy out on a date! Oh God! I'm so nervous. What if I do something wrong? I-I've never done anything like this at all. What if I mess up something? W-what if he doesn't like the place I picked up? Shit! Why didn't I think of it! What am I supposed to do now? Judy say something!"

She gave me an unimpressed look. "Are you done ranting? Heaven, you're making a really big deal out of this."

"Because it is a big deal!"

She rolled her eyes again. "It's not. It's a date. A simple date. Everyone goes on dates. Yeah I can understand you haven't been on one for years now so it might be nerve wrecking for you, but just keep in mind that it's just a simple date. If you keep on thinking it to be something extraordinary like a wedding or something, it's seriously going to mess you up."

I scowled at her but thought about what she said. She's right. It's a simple date. I can do it. I'm no longer a teenager making mistakes, I'm an adult with a good job and house, and am able to handle everything.

That was the mindset I walked out of the house with and drove to River's house. But the advice flew out of my mind as soon as it came the moment I stopped my car in River's driveway. I sat in the car for a few minutes to settle myself down. Taking a few deep breathes, I walked out of the car and to his door. I rang the bell and waited.

A few seconds passed and there was a shuffling on the other side. Then the door opened and there stood a dashing River. He was dressed in simple clothes like I'd asked him-jeans and a tshirt with a jacket on top. He looked really good and it took me enough strength to move my gaze away from his body and to his eyes. I smiled.

He gazed at my form and smirked. "Hello Heaven."

I blushed and looked down. "Hello River."

"Are you ready for our date?"

I nodded. Then I realized how stupid it actually looked. I was taking him out on a date. I should be the one asking him that.