5

Heaven

I swear I donot have a potty mouth.

The thing is, I wanted to distract River a bit. I learned this first hand that he's not like the other patients I had in the past and I have to use a different tactic to get him to talk. But I swear I wasn't going to say that.

The minute those words left my mouth, I clapped my hand over it and my eyes widened.  His eyes were flooded with confusion and a bit of amusement. We stared at each other for a while, me not knowing what's going to happen to me now, and him enjoying my misery. Slowly, a smirk crept up his face.

"Say doctor, I was not expecting you to be so direct about it. If you wanted a piece of this," he said, leisurely pointing to his body, "I would've thought about it."

My face heated up and turned fifty shades of red. I felt utterly ashamed and didn't know what to say.

"I uh I-I didn't mean t-that. I was j-just trying to-"

"Trying what?!" He barked and I jumped in my seat. His face had gone back to that emotionless facade.

I cleared my throat and said, "It's my way of working Sir." He raised his eyebrows and I proceeded to clarify, "What I meant to say is I don't like going into regular mundane questions like 'how are you doing' or 'are you feeling well' because I feel like these questions are not something people like being asked. So I try a different technique. I didn't mean to say what I said, it just slipped my tongue. My apologies."

He stared at me, unblinking. It was so silent in the room I was scared he could hear my racing heart from my chest. I finally decided to try another technique.

"Okay sir, tell me-"

"River." He spoke huskily.

I blinked in confusion.

"Call me River." He said.

I nodded slowly and a small smile crept up my face. "Sure River. So tell me, do you work out quite often?"

He frowned a little but said, "Yes I do. Why?"

"That's why with the sexy body." I mumbled under my breath, hoping he doesn't hear. Luckily, he doesn't.

"How often do you work out?"

"Everyday."

I nodded. "How long?"

He seemed to be thinking and then replied, "Around 3 hours in the morning."

My eyes widened a bit but I composed myself pretty quickly. I didn't want him becoming self conscious with my reaction.

"How do you feel after you work out?"

He thought about it and said, "Okay I guess. I don't know."

His reply was gruff and he looked like he was thinking about something else. His mind was no more here. Perfect.

"When do you workout the most?" I asked cautiously.

He looked kind of dazed and said, "Whenever I get angry."

Yes! This was going good.

"Okay River. And how often is that?"

"Umm I don't know. I workout regularly."

I nodded. This was going really good. Apart from being difficult a few minutes ago, he was opening up now and willing to comply. This was going to be easy.

I decided to go for my master strike. "What do you get angry about River?"

He looked at me with that same dazed look and his black eyes seemed to be far away in some other world. But suddenly they refocused and his face went back to that blank stare I was starting to familiarise myself with.