Part 25

Saturday came quickly, and Trevor was so excited to see Dana. He was on his best behavior all day, waiting less than patiently.

"Trevie, sit still. They'll be here in 10 minutes a" Shaun said, laying Trevor down on his playmat. "You were so good this morning and now you're all riled up. Hopefully you won't be too crazy at nap time." Shaun said.

When the doorbell rang, Trevor sat up and ran to answer it. Shaun walked after him and scooped him up, pulling the door open. Trevor whined.

"Hey bro." Eric saidC walking into the house with Dana. Trevor squealed with joy and tried to hug Dana, but couldn't because they were both being held.

"What's up, Shaun? How are you guys doing?" Eric asked walking into the house with Dana.

When they walked into the Living room, they put the kids down on the floor. "Doing pretty good. Trevor was super excited for your guys visit." Shaun said. He and Eric went into the kitchen to make a pot of coffee.

Trevor and Dana sat on the floor and hugged each other.

"I missed you." Dana whispered. 

"Me too." Trevor response quietly. They watched as the 'dads' talked and waited for their coffee. Trevor picked up a small red ball and rolled it to Dana. She rolled it back to Trevor. They played a  kind of hockey game, trying to score before the other did.  Trevor's goal was the tv stand, and Dana's was the couch. Dana rolled the ball back a bit and shoved it forward. It rolled right past Trevor and underneath the couch.

"I win!" Dana cheered. Trevor laughed and turned to the couch. He moved from sitting to lay on his stomach and reached under the couch to get the ball. He felt something cold and metal, and grabbed it. When he moved his arm back to his side, he opened his fist. In his hand was a small brass key. He looked into the kitchen and saw the brothers getting up. He shoved the key in his pocket and flopped back onto his stomach, reaching under the couch for the ball.

"What are you up to, bubba? Getting your ball?" Shaun asked, pulling Trevor up by the armpits. He kissed his temple and sat him back down on the floor. Shaun and Eric sat down on the couch and put their coffees on the table.

"What do you think? Should we put these two down for their nap at 1:30?" Eric asked. Shaun nodded. "They'll get cranky if we don't." He laughed.

"Alright kiddos, let's get you to bed." Eric said, scooping up Dana as Shaun scooped Trevor up. They carried the kids upstairs and brought them to trevors nursery. Shaun changed Trevor and put him in his crib and Eric put Dana in the playpen. Shaun turned on trevors mobile and the baby monitor. "Night night, sleep tight." Shaun cooed, fluffing trevors hair. He and Eric turned off the lights and left, shutting the door behind them.

"Dana? You awake still?" Trevor asked, sitting up. "Yes." Dana said, sitting up too. She looked at Trevor. "What's up?"

"I found this key under the couch earlier, and I want to know what it's for. Feel like an adventure?" Trevor said.

"Always." Dana agreed. They each climbed out of their cribs and went to the door. Trevor opened it and looked into the hallway. It was clear. "Come on." He said, and they left the room.

"So I take it that trevors back to a regressed state?" Eric asked. "Yeah, I think so." Shaun replied. Eric nodded. "He's such a fussy kid sometimes. Have you ever thought about using that medicine on him again?"

"No, it's not nice. I would rather have him trust me than have him be easy to handle." Shaun said. He heard a creak upstairs and looked at Eric. Eric however, didn't hear it. "I'll be right back." Shaun said. He got up and went upstairs.

"Hurry up, someone's coming." Dana said. Trevor stuck the key in the lock and turned it. He was about to open the door when Shaun spoke up.

"What are you two doing up? Trevor, where'd you get that key?" Shaun asked. 

"We couldn't sleep." Trevor said.

"Where'd you find that key? I've been looking for it." Shaun said.

Under the couch." Trevor said. Shaun held out his hand and Trevor gave him the key.

"Thank you. Now, I think it's nap time." Shaun cooed. He picked Trevor up in one arm and Dana in the other. He carried them back to the nursery and put them in their cribs. "Try to sleep for an hour, okay little ones?" He said, turning the mobile and baby monitor on. He shut off the light and left the room. 

Feeling suddenly sleepy, Trevor shit his eyes and fell asleep. Dana had no such luck. She laid on her tummy in the playpen and put her head on her arms, hoping she would drift off for a little bit. She climbed out of the playpen and tiptoed downstairs.

"Daddy? I'm thirsty. Can I have some water?" She asked.

"Yes, but you have to take your nap after." Eric said. He went to the kitchen and picked Dana up, getting a bottle for her. "Do you want your paci too?" Eric asked. Dana nodded. Eric got the pacifier from the bag and clipped it to Dana's onesie. He carried her back to the couch and held her in his lap, one arm holding her around the tummy. He held the bottle in his free hand and fed it to Dana. As she drank the water, her eyes closed more. When the bottle was empty, Eric moved it and put it on the table, replacing it with her pacifier. He stood up and carried her upstairs and kissed her on the head, putting her back in the playpen.