Two

CHAPTER TWO
THE RULES OF SELINA
SAVANNAH, GEORGIA

"King George II of Great Britain was our founding  father and he always believed in three principals

"King George II of Great Britain was our founding father and he always believed in three principals. Lead, Respect and Prosper. Not only have these students demonstrated each of these principles, they have also been role models to the younger generations. Today, we close a chapter and open another one. As these students say goodbye to University and welcome their hearts to life after, they will experience many situations that challenge their minds. Adulthood isn't easy but we know each and every student here will prosper just as they did at University,"

A small bittersweet smile made its way to my face. I realized this was the end of my college career. Once I received that paper, that was it. Every assignment, test, essay I've had to do was to get one neatly decorated paper.

I sat with three gold medals and four honor cords. People knew me as one of the smartest in my school. My dad ensured that I knew how important my grades were. He didn't quite have an impressive GPA in high-school. He said that if he didn't know how to paint, he would be a bus driver.

Today was Thursday, May 27th and the sun was slowly peeking through the clouds. It wasn't going to rain though which was good because we were all dressed up.

"Please Welcome Vice Principal Sanchez and Mr. Fernandez as they will be distributing the diplomas," The audience clapped while Principal Sanchez walked off the stage, allowing the two men to grab the attention. I looked at my parents, who were already recording me. I rolled my eyes playfully, didn't they know I wouldn't be going first because my last name started with M?

The first row of the students stood up and walked towards the stage in one line. Soon, they waited to be called on stage. "Adam Abdel,"

"Claire Adams,"

"Beyoncé Anderson,"

I don't know what happened but before I knew it, It was time for my row to stand up. We all made our way to the stage, and I played with my fingers, feeling my heart beat rapidly against my chest. There was no way this was happening—No way.

One by one the students walked on stage until It was my turn. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Selina Aakifah Maxwell," I smiled, walking up on the stage, hearing loud cheers from the audience. I shook hands with the Vice Principal while Mr Fernandez handed me my diploma.

They took a picture with me before guiding me off the stage, and I walked right back into my row. From the corner of my eye, I could spot my mother crying as my Father cheered Serafina and Enzo were here also. I felt like my world had stopped. I was surrounded by all my favorite people and I couldn't be happier.