Chapter 19- This Might Be The Best Or Worst Idea

"I- I'll tell you when the time is right, let's get back to work, okay? You'll respect that, right?" I hugged her back.

She let go of me gently after a small squeeze, "Yeah, I'll respect that. Don't worry, y'know. But, I swear to every god I know, if you dare do weird shit and not tell me anything, you bet I'll be coming for your kneecaps."

I smiled at her comment, I knew she really cared about me, and was worried sick because of me. "Yeah, you bet I will."

She smiled back at me, as she led me out of the stall. We walked towards our desks hand in hand.

I spotted Fancy-Ass talking to my manager in her office when we settled down in our desks. Perhaps they were talking about the sales or maybe what people would like or the efficiency of their subordinates. Then, a thought came by, what if they were talking about my transfer to the HQ? I had completely forgotten about it! I can't believe I forgot the promotion and the way that I had ditched Fancy-Ass all alone in that restaurant.

Once again, a wave of guilt washed over me. I knew that there was no way for me to explain to him what had happened that night. I wanted to just disappear again. Yet, the thought of doing so was taken away when I looked over to my dear Airi. She had always been there for me, no matter what. She was family, she was the reason I believed that family doesn't end in blood, you can choose your own family.

I reached over to her hand, squeezing it a little, it felt real, warm and soft. She returned the gesture, as if to say that she was real and not just my hallucination. I tapped her hand after she had released me, "Hey, I worked on the suits yesterday, do you wanna see 'em?"

She lit up, "Really?"

I nodded, pulling out the sketches from my bag to show it to her. As soon as they were in sight, she stole it so quickly, I don't think lightning could beat her. I was happy though, I liked seeing her enthusiastic self, I liked seeing her smile. Whenever she was worried for me, it broke my heart, she'd look so down. I really don't deserve her, huh?

"My goodness! These are great," her words pulled me out of my destructive thoughts.

"I guess so, which one do you like the most though?" I asked, I wanted her favourite ones to be out in the world.

She shrugged, "I don't know, man. You know it's hard to choose. I like this yellow one with a bit of trench coat vibe. Oh, and the short floral one too. But, seriously, why yellow though. I mean, I'm not complaining, it looks great, but yellow? It's kinda not your kinda thing."

"Eh, thought of someone with really bad taste. They were wearing a yellow suit that doesn't fit and red tie," I told her.

Handing the sketches back, she showed obvious disgust for Vastel's taste. She commented, "Ew."

"Yeah, I know, right?" I laughed, taking back my sketches to digitalise them.

'Hey, what if you introduce Airi and Vastel to each other?' my heart asked.

'What? No! Are you insane? We should keep this between as few people as possible,' my brain argued back.

This time, I was going to listen to my heart. Airi deserves to know, she shouldn't have been left in the dark in the first place. This time, I was sure.

As my brain was just blaring at me, I turned to Airi, "Hey, Ai?"

"Hmm?" she responded but not looking away from the screen.

"There's... There's someone I'd like you to meet after work."