Chapter 42- I'm Big Brain

"What?"

"What I'm saying is, he's that lady. Your brother is the lady you were looking for. If you still can't connect the dots, think about how much he resembles the lady. You don't have a twin sister, yet this woman looks the same as he does. Now, I'm aware that there are people who look like other people, and this theory may be entirely wrong. However, if you look at her frame from the camera footage, it's clear that her frame can be mistaken as a man's. Not only that, I noticed that, while, she had worn long gloves, covering up almost her entire arm, and make up that can literally cover up any scars or tattoos, but a person can hardly change their habits. Before she went into the room, she showed signs of nervousness like how your brother had back in school. She snapped her fingers twice and bounced three times. Your brother did the exact same thing back then, before his presentations or speeches."

"Okay, so, how are you going to confront him then? What are you going to do?"

"The question is, what are we supposed to not do? You see, as you and I know, he went to jail, came out, disappeared for nearly two years and appeared again. He called both of us to ask us not to look for him. Now, why would he want to do that? There could be multiple explanations for these actions. However, I don't think we should come up with theories yet, forcing the reason out of him is also something we should not be doing. Generally, I wouldn't want to pressure him. We don't know the full details about his headspace."

I nodded, forgetting that he couldn't see me. "Sure, whatever you say. You are the expert here."

"I shall ignore the streak of mockery I hear. Anything you wanna ask?"

"Are you going to apologize to her? Airi, I mean."

I could hear him click his tongue right after my question. He replied a little too coldly than expected, "I don't have a choice even though we both know that I was right. I know it was harsh of me, but what can I say? She's overprotective, and I know she has her reasons."

"Yeah," I said, looking down, fidgeting with the folds of my pants.

"I should hang up now, Luzien is calling me, I'll talk to you later."

He hung up before I got the chance to say my goodbye. My surrounding was once again surrounded by still loneliness. Luzien... I messed up our relationship, just hearing his name tightened my chest. I tried my hardest to convince myself that I had done the right thing, that I'll deal with him later, my brother was more important. Yet, I kept reminding myself that he would only be staying for only a month. I had only half a month left. It felt so long at first and now I wished that clock never ticked. Would I have accepted him instantly if I didn't have to track my brother down?

Probably, I probably would have said yes to him. But then again, my brother shielded me from our abusive parents. If it weren't for him, I would have never had the chance to have the life had. I wouldn't have had the chance to meet Luzien.

I sighed, looking up to stare at my ceiling fan.

'Promotion,' a voice in my head whispered.

A surge of realisation shot through me. That's right, Luzien offered me a promotion to the headquarters. What was I even worried about?