Chapter 57- I Swear, I'm A Responsible Adult

The four of us just sat there, in an uncomfortable silence, like walking into a wet toilet with dry socks on.

Vastel cleared his throat, "Sorry, I made this awkward. I should go now."

He nearly stood up when Airi stopped him, "Oh, no, you should stay with her here. Tol and I have to go now, we have something to do. You lovebirds just talk and figure things out, alright?"

She practically dragged me away from the table with her free hand, I didn't resist, I didn't have a reason to. (I did, because she is technically my long-lost sibling, but sure, since it's Airi who dragged me away, might as well cooperate).

"You can go back to your own apartment, don't worry. Those gifts were really meant for Airi," my sister looked me in the eye and gave me an attempted comforting squeeze on the arm. I tried to give her the I-want-to-stay look, well, she either didn't notice or she just ignored me.

Just like that, I was forced to be separated with my sister once again, just this time, it was by Airi and not by fate.

●◦●◦●◦

"So, uh, why are we out here walking back to your place instead of listening to what she had to say?" I asked, scratching the back of my neck.

Airi clicked her tongue, "It's so obvious that they weren't comfortable with us there. Just leave them be, will you? You had no idea she existed in the first place. Vastel had so much to say to her, in case you couldn't tell."

"But then-"

"Shhhh," she grabbed my shoulder, making me stop in my tracks, I turned back to look at her. She bobbed her head, gesturing me to look in front.

At the far end, two figures were walking down the walkway we were on, they looked oh so familiar.

Airi gasped, "That's Luzien, isn't it? I'm nine out of ten sure it's him."

"A lot of people-"

"Look closer, I'm sure it's him, no mistake."

I will say this, I do trust Airi, she is almost correct all the time. However, this time, this time I didn't want to believe her. Well, more like, I didn't want to think that she was right.

Spoiler alert, she was.

I was about to move out of the way but she refused to move. "We can meet them here. It's alright, no? Since we are outside of work and we are close to him. At least, you are."

I squeezed my eyes tight in both frustration and anticipation. What was I anticipating, I did not know.

As the figures came closer to where we were, my pleas for Airi to scram gotten more desperate.

Airi didn't seem to be budging anytime soon, she was practically planted onto the ground.

"Ai, come on, let's go. We've got to go now," my trembling voice whispered.

"We'd be fine, it's just to say hi. Don't worry too much."

If only I had the time to explain to her as to why I did NOT want to see him tonight, I would have. I wish I did, really. Then again, she would have pushed me to meet him either way.

His presence and my racing heart became more known the closer they were to us. I turned away from them, took my glasses off, hoping that I could be passed as someone not Tolmer. (I realised that it was basically impossible since he would have stopped for Airi. But, hey, everything's worth a try...right?).

I looked down, the moment their laughter could be heard within an earshot.

'He wasn't so free tonight, after all, huh,' my brain cooed. I tried shutting it down instantly, except, you know, I failed. Typical. 'You know, I'm sure he was just playing with you this morning. I mean, who are you kidding, am I right? Why would he ask you if you were free when he clearly has someone better to see if not to just simply look at your idiotic expression?'

I was about to give into whatever my hostile brain was whispering to me when a hand tapped me on my shoulder. I jolted.

"Hey, you okay?" his voice rattled my skull. I pushed his hand away, the last thing I needed was the real thing in front of me.

"Tolmer, c'mon, look at me," he called out. Not wanting to face him like that, I stayed stubborn.

I rushed across the street as soon as I got the chance, not looking back or even making sure if Airi was alright (I'm actually so sorry for this, Ai.). My brain was dimed by the thoughts of escaping, like grey clouds obscuring the sun.

Not daring to look up, I kept my head low, my pace quickened.

It was only when I saw the first droplet of rain on my glasses before I felt a gush of volant wind on my back that I finally looked up. Rain started to pour down, I did not slow down for long before I started looking for shelter.

I did eventually find one, in front of a closed shop with a balcony. Rain water soaked my clothing and started trickling down my body. Looking around, I came to the conclusion that I had no idea where I was. So, not only was I lost, I was cold and wet. I made myself comfortable in a squatting position, as I held my head up, looking at the sky. For some reasons, I felt as if the gods were laughing at how pathetic of a human being I was.

I closed my eyes to feel the shame to the fullest, I was mentally prepared for the voice in my brain to completely destroy me, though, it did not play out as planned.

"Stop running away, please?" Warmth surrounded me as I tried to struggle free from Luzien's embrace. My heart was not ready for this at all.