Chapter 81

Lexington had saved me. In more ways than one.

I almost killed Lydia and lost myself. I would have become jut like her.

"Grief will do that to you." He had told me when I refused to talk, eat, or even look anyone in the eye the days following. "It will turn you into someone you're not. Or someone you didn't know you were capable of becoming."

He told me that I shouldn't fight her alone. He agreed that she needed to be stopped but that w would do it together. While her final might may end with her death, it shouldn't be me doing it because it would be too personal.

"It isn't your job to shoulder your grief and the burden of killing on your own so I don't." He told me. "Let us in and let me help."

"I am!" I said defensively.

"You say that but you know it isn't true."

I hadn't realized how much I had been isolating myself and how bottling up my emotions had affected me. He was right. This fight had become too personal. I can't end this alone so I decided that it was about time that the Divines stop hiding and make a stand, show how powerful they are. Not in strength but in unity.

It has been nearly a month since I lost my sister and my mother. I still feel the loss of their presence. I feel hollow without them in my life. I wonder if I will ever feel whole again, not that I want to replace them but I'm not sure how effectively I can lead with a hole in my heart.

It has been a tiresome few weeks as we have been rallying all of the Divines together. As united as the Divines have been becoming, the more our team has been falling apart.

We've lost Ashton and obviously Kane. Lexington isn't even with us half the time. So much for doing this together. He claims he's off on some sort of personal quest to reconnect to his Ancient Celestial roots. Some sort of crusade or soul searching, I guess. Something like that. I've been too preoccupied to take notice.

First, we traveled across the Provinces of the Republic. Claire was a great help in getting the powerless Divines on board.

"They're called the Forgotten." She told me.

Apparently, having non-human roots and having no power isn't uncommon. Some species don't mix. There are nine original races but not every combination becomes a hybrid. The ones that don't become their own species, like how Divines are Human and Celestial, they either take one of the parents heritage or neither. Humans were the first species created so "neither" would make them human.

Like Destiny, I thought. She may have wings but she has no abilities. She must be a Forgotten.

It's also common for human hybrids to have no powers. Many Divines that aren't "pure," meaning they have a Human and Celestial parent, not Divine parents, can easily have no power or an ability like Claire. It's very common because most Divines have more Human than Celestial genes because they faded so quickly that Divines often marry humans, making their genes stronger.

I never imagined there would be so many. Nearly a third of Divines have little to no power. I was astonished but our mission wasn't to recruit the strongest but to unite a people and be unified in our cause.

We may not be able to reach every individual but at least we can make an impact and reach every Divine community world-wide. They have been in the dark and their voices unheard for so long. It's about time that someone heard them. Lydia spent so much time hunting them down that it made our job of finding them and making our movement known even harder.

I've been worried about Peter. I've already lost him once and I don't want to lose him again.

His episodes have been becoming more frequent. Even though they usually last a few seconds, the person that takes his place is terrifying and it haunts him.