Chapter 15

When I rode next to Peter he told me about my mother. I was confused as to how I am a Divine and not her.

"A Divine is someone with both Celestial and human heritage." He answered.

"So do you have a Celestial parent, too?" I asked.

"No, both of my parents are Divines, but two of my grandparents were, but they faded. It's a good thing your mother has her relic otherwise she would have faded by now, too. I guess that make you are Pure Divine."

"A what?"

"A Pure Divine is a first generation Divine. My parents were Divine so I'm not, but I'm still half human and Celestial. Most Divines are more human than Celestial so they are called Lesser Divines and their abilities aren't as strong."

I nod trying to soak in as much information as possible. My only question now is why was my mother so special? Why did she get the pendant and not anyone else. I get that they're rare, but then how could they possibly decide who to give them to. They mean the difference between life and death for Celestials.

I gasped.

"Everything alright?" Peter asked after I broke our silence.

I soundlessly nod, not trusting myself to use words. I just realized that me possessing the pendant instead of a Celestial means that I condemned one of them to death. I feel so repulsed that I feel the urge to cast it away again but I wouldn't follow through because that would be wasteful.

I begin to question why my mother, of all Celestials, lived isolated from her people. Could it be because of her possession of the pendants? Or something else?

When Peter's friend appeared, the war became all too real to me. I can't see anything visibly wrong with him. At least, nothing to cause him to collapse.

What could have happened? What's wrong with him? I have no answers to my questions.

I freeze in terror as Peter cradles in his arms his dying friends. He began to mutter to himself. I only catch some of the things he says. 'Who did this?', and 'What happened?' He only shuts up when his friend coughs up blood as he tried to speak.

Between my view from the back of the group and the adrenaline pounding in my ears, I don't know much about what's going on. My eyes widen as I catch a glance of a gushing gash along his throat, no doubt why he is having a hard time speaking. Peter bends his head down in an attempt to catch the word he says.

Less than a minute after Sunny appeared, he breathed his last. All I can do is watch wide eyed.

Peter hangs his head and says a few words in honor of his fallen friend after he gently closed his still eyes. He lays Sunny's body peacefully before opening a portal under the body. It falls in and I can hear the calm sound of waves washing up on a shore and I can only guess where he laid his body to rest.

He stands, a new found ferocity glinting in his eyes. The sight startles me.

His voice is even when he speaks. "Enzo, Skylar, you are to come with me. The rest of you are to escort the Nightclaws to Lady Forsythia's estate."

"But I thought we were escorting them to-"

Peter interrupted Katrina. "Now you are taking them to a patron's estate. There is no time for debate. Does anyone else have a useless question to ask?"

No one dares defy Peter. I've never seen him like this. Of course, I'm sure he is just intense because he doesn't want anyone else to die if he can help it.

"Good, then we'll be going." He opened a portal in the path in front of us. It is big enough for our horses to ride through. Peter signals Enzo and Skylar to ride through, warning them that a fight is waiting for them on the other side. They enter charging and Peter gives me one more glance before disappearing through the portal himself.

I can't help but feel like he was challenging me to follow, testing to see if I'd join the fight. I have to admit that it is tempting. I desperately want more answers and I guess this war is as much his as it is mine at this point.

No, I don't follow. I know deep down that this is where we must part ways...

I grip my reins as the portal lingers for a moment longer before briskly collapsing.

... at least for now.

I try to catch a glimpse of the battle or at least the location before the portal completely closes, but I am unsuccessful. I only see a few scattered bricks and the tops of trees.

I sigh.

"Don't worry," I flinch at Katrina unexpected voice. She giggles at my reaction. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

I didn't respond.

"You'll get your chance to fight." She said, finishing her earlier thought.

"What makes you think I want to fight?"

She smirks at me. "I know that look." She nods towards me while looking at where the portal had been.

I don't want to fight. Do I? I mean, I want to end the fighting, but doesn't that mean that the war has to end? I sigh. Wow, someone that rarely can read me better than I can read myself. No wonder I'm so vulnerable.

"Come on," Jaxon breaks into my thoughts. "We should get moving so we arrive before nightfall."

Katrina glanced at the sky before concluding, "He's right. With the change of direction we'll have a little extra light but we still might make it to the inn before nightfall."

As we head down a new path, I note that we are now heading East. Toward my parents but not to them.

I try to keep my troubled thoughts at bay. Nothing seems to add up. Starting with why Peter never teleported us anywhere. If he had the power, why not use it? Unless he knew something was happening at base, but then why would his friend had died"

I sigh, defeated. I don't want to think ill of the people that have showed my sister and I hospitality, but I should try to not be as naive as I have been in the past. I don't want paranoia to eat away at me so the next chance I get, I'll talk to Katrina alone. After all she seems honest enough and maybe I'm reading too much into things and there is an explanation for everything. Yeah, I'm sure that's it.

Why do I find myself traveling in circles? Will I ever learn?

"We're here!" Katrina said cheerfully as we look down into a beautiful estate tucked away in a peaceful valley. The inn looks like a mansion, made of more advanced materials than we possess in the north. Smoke drifts toward us from the chimney, bringing an exquisite aroma with it. I suddenly realize how hungry I am, not wanting to consider how long it has been since I've had a home cooked meal.

An elderly woman stands on the brick path leading to the gate of the estate. She waves as we approach.