Chapter 72

Just as we make it past the threshold, the compound goes up in smoke. One final blast throws us to the ground. Ashton's arm is stretched over me in protection.

I hurry to get to my feet. I scan my team to make sure that everyone is there before looking at the burning building in front of us. The compound is in ruins. Fire and rubble rain down everywhere.

Ashton is still hovering by me like a hawk. I owe her my life. We all do. I turned and hugged her. She tensed at my unexpected movement.

"Thank you." I whispered to her.

Her grip around me tightened. "I will always save you." The sincerity in her voice was heartbreaking. It made me almost want to cry.

How did I ever think that she could be capable of evil? She is still the same girl that I grew up with. The girl that told me scary stories under our cover after bedtime. The girl that shared her bed with me when a storm frightened me, even though I was too old to still be afraid. She had always been at my side, watching over me.

Nothing has changed.

I took a step back from my sister. I couldn't bare at looking the desolated building anymore. I turned towards Lexington.

"Can you teleport us back or at least contact Peter?" I asked. I wish Peter could have been here. He should have been here but it wasn't his fault.

"Yeah, sure. Yeah, I can do that." He replied.

"Okay?" I wasn't sure why he was acting so weird all of a sudden. I just hope that he wasn't hurt during the explosion.

It didn't take long for Peter and Kane to teleport here. I ran into Peter's arms. I couldn't stop my tears from coming. The adrenaline was wearing off and I am scared that we lost my parents forever. He gracious held me for as long as I needed.

"I failed. I'm so so sorry. I lost everything!" I cried.

"It's okay, we can just try again."

"No! No, we can't! You just don't get it!"

"Then help me understand."

"I..." I couldn't help him understand because I didn't myself. I felt like it was over and that we were defeated.

"I don't even know if my parents are still alive. Even if they are, my mother won't be soon because she's fading as long as she isn't wearing her pendant."

"Celeste, it wasn't your fault that you failed." Ashton interrupted.

"Thanks, Ashton, but I don't think- wait, hold on. What do you mean by it wasn't my fault I failed? Who's fault was it then."

"Um, I just mean that it was the Oblivians explo-"

"What she really means is that she is the reason you failed. Or more accurately. She failed you. She betrayed you. Again." Kane interjected.

I could have sworn he was standing closer to where Lexington is now. I guess I didn't notice when he moved.

"What do you mean, Kane?" I asked.

"Kane, you weasel! How dare-"

"What? How dare I reveal the truth behind your treachery before more innocent lives are lost?" He replied.

"You're a two faced liar! Who's side are you on?" Ashton roared.

"Really? You almost kill us all and you're questioning his loyalty?" I snapped. Ashton fell silent. "Although, how would you know, Kane, if you weren't even there? You weren't in on it, were you?"

"Think about it. Why would the Oblivians blow up their own base and risk harming their own people or captives? It doesn't make sense. Besides, how would have Ashton known unless she set the bomb? There was, after all, a lot of fire. I don't think I have to remind you what her power is, do I?"

"But why?"

My question was directed straight at Ashton. I couldn't bare to meet her eye but I don't have to.

She sighed. "It's not worth it." She mumbled.

I don't even know what to think anymore. "Just tell me that they're still alive." I said, closing my eyes.

"Yes, they are alive!" She replied defensively.

"Then I guess you weren't successful in your sabotage." I snapped.

"No, Celeste. You don't understand. It wasn't like that!"

"Then tell me. No more excuses. No more lies. Tell me why you did it."

"Lydia she... No, not yet!"

I was confused by her sudden outburst. Her eyes turned dark. Then they appeared to glow red. I looked closer to see an image staring back at me. I finally understood. Ashton was no longer in control. Lydia was.

"I have to thank you for letting me borrow your sister. You were right, she's jus like Skylar. It was like having my little sister back again."

"Would you really have tortured your sister like you tortured Ash?" I snapped.

"Would that really surprise you?"

"Once it would have. I haven't given up looking for good in others, but I have given up expecting it."

Her eyes narrowed as her gaze locked on me. I had to remind myself that it was not my sister that I was talking to but Lydia using her eyes and lips.

"Kane," she snapped.

"Yes, Lydia?" He replied.

"We're done here. Follow Ashton back to base."

"Yes, Lydia."

The image in my sister's eyes faded but not completely. Lydia was still inside Ashton but at least she gave her humanity back.

"We're just going to let them go?" Peter asked over my shoulder.

"Yes." I said simply.

"Are you sure that's wise?" Claire asked.

"We have no quarrel with them. Our alliance simply expired."

"We may not be fight you today but know that we will not extend the same curtesy the next time we meet. If you get in our way we will fight you with fire and you will perish." Ashton announced as she used her fire to lift her into the sky. Kane flew next to her, using his ability to create wings.

I watched from the ground as they flew out of view.

"What now?" Peter asked.

"Now, we get my parents back and this time we will not be leaving anything to chance."