Chapter 71: Ashton

I was surprised when Peter finally gave in. I shouldn't have. Celeste isn't the same girl I grew up down the hall from.

He closed his eyes in concentration. He was picturing my mother. I still don't understand how he knew her so well but I'm glad he does.

His eyes snap open, revealing the image of a girl with red hair covering his pupil. She isn't Lydia and I don't recognize her. I assume that she is his sister who is lending him her power. Finally, a portal begins to appear in front of him.

Celeste enters the portal first. "I'll conceal us." She says before she disappeared into the portal. 

So she does have some part of a plan, I thought to myself. 

Claire and Katrina walk through next.

I only then realize that Peter will not be able to come with us and by the pained look on his face, he knows it. He is struggling so hard to keep control that if he tries to walk through he will lose concentration. Then he will have two choices. Destroy the portal or lose control.

"I'll go next." Lexington says but something feels off. His tone seems different from the man I talked to earlier. I shrugged off my suspicion, assuming that he is just tense in anticipation from the coming battle.

I walked through next and I thought Kane was right behind me but when Peter grunts, I realize that the portal is collapsing. Kane rushed towards the portal but it's too late. It's already closing too fast.

Celeste, Claire, and Katrina have already disappeared out of sight. They have no idea that Kane didn't make it through or that we might not have a way out of here.

"As anticipated."

I whipped my head around, astonished to hear Kane's voice.

"Kane? But what happened to Lexington?"

"Come on, Ash. I thought you were smarter than that." He said with a shrug.

"You disguised yourself as him."

"Yep."

"But why? Why is it so important that he got through and not you?"

"Because of what he is going to do."

"And why are you telling me this"

"Because you are going to help me."

"Why is that?"

"Because you have reason to stall Lydia's plans, too."

"Who says I'm stalling?" I said, crossing my arms.

Kane chuckled. "You're not fooling anyone. You're here for Celeste and Celeste only, not Lydia. Knowing that, I'm still not sure why Lydia sent you. Maybe she has gone soft, but-"

"What do you mean Celeste?" I asked defensively.

"She's you drive. your very reason for breathing. I'm not too dense to notice that everything you do is for her."

"Then why are you betraying Lydia?"

"Let's just say I have clear orders from above."

"That's not good enough."

"It'll have to be."

"Fine. then I guess you don't really need my help." I said, turning on my heels.

"Wait!"

I stopped.

"I'm in league with the Oblivians but you can't tell anyone."