Chapter 12

Trying to get Ashton to cooperate with our new allies proved harder than getting her to stop going after our parents.

"Well, we should go find the mentor. It's what our mother wanted." Ashton testified.

"I advise against it." Peter replied.

"N-no Ashton. It's still not safe out there." I stammered.

"It will never be 'safe' in the world, but I'm not going to cower in fear my whole life. Come on, Celeste. We're leaving." Ashton decided.

"Whoa, wait. Can't we talk about this?" I asked. "You can't just drag me around. I'm not a doll. You aren't even thinking rationally right now. Do you hear yourself?"

"Celeste, sister." She said sweetly. "Trust me."

"That's another thing. I'm starting to doubt your intentions. What do you mean 'it's what our mother wanted'?"

Ashton sighs, eyes trailing to the ground. "Mother has a journal filled with her personal thoughts, most of it doesn't even make sense. She talks about things that aren't from our world but she never explains anything. At first, I thought she was crazy-"

"Wait, how long ago did you find her journal?"

"I found it when I was eight."

"What?!"

"It was before I found our letter, but soon after I found her journal, it vanished. I've searched the whole house. It's just gone."

"She probably destroyed it." Enzo added.

"Why would she do that?" I asked.

"Because," began Peter. "It must have contained sensitive information that could be used against her if it was found. She would have been putting all of you in jeopardy if she kept it."

"Then how do we know the authenticity of what Ash is saying? How clearly do you remember what you read?"

"I remember his name."

"Who's name?"

"Of our soon-to-be mentor. Mother said he was an old friend."

"Well, what was his name?" Peter asked

"Remington Lightbourn."

I glanced at him, deep in thought."Do you know him?"

He shook his head. "No, but his family name sounds familiar."

I turn back to Ashton. "What do you suggest we do? Travel across the country to this man we have never met?"

She shrugged. "You were the one who suggested we wait to rescue our parents until we learn how to wield our powers."

"Yeah, but... there is just so much we don't know, and I don't want to travel the countryside alone. Especially after we were almost captured."

"Wait, what?" Katrina asked mystified.

"Oh, did we forget to mention that we were ambushed the other day in town?" Ashton said with a smug grin. "If you were supposed to be protecting us where were you then? Thankfully, I single-handedly fought them off."

"Well, if you're so powerful, you don't need us and we can leave." Skylar replied, matching Ashton's arrogant tone.

I can feel the tension building. I have to do something. Before I have the chance to Peter cuts in.

"Why don't we all pack up camp? Nothing is official. No one is leaving anyone. Why don't we discuss this more when we are on the road. Right now the most important thing is to get out of this city and off of our enemies radar. Agreed?"