Chapter 11

I'm still beating myself up. I mean how could I have been so blind! How did I not see through him? Thankfully, Ashton doesn't press the matter, nor does she bring up anything upsetting. Even if it is just for the morning, it is kind of nice. A little piece of normal that hasn't yet been shattered.

I stand on the edge of a cliff. I stare down into the drop off, pendant in hand. I stand there for nearly an hour as the sun rises at back, trying to bring myself to throw it. Eventually, I bring it close. "I won't lose you, Mom," I whispered to it before tucking it under my chin.

Placing it permanently in my pocket, I return to our camp, knowing what I must tell Ashton, not knowing how to say it.

I sigh as I spy Ashton still deep in her bedding. She must have fallen right back to sleep. I saunter over to her and crouch down beside her, hesitating to wake her.

In a moment, I don't need to. I hear the muffled sound of footsteps tromping through the fallen fall leaves. I don't even notice that Ashton is awake until a breaking twigs sends flames bursting forth from her palms. She remains still except for her opening eyes that are wide awake and full of life. Our eyes lock and I know that she had been listening to the footsteps while I was gone.

"Why are they still after us?" I whispered.

"I don't know." Ashton whispered back.

As five figures appear in front of us, we both jump to our feet. This is the first time that I've felt the charge of my powers. I don't just feel it inside my body as I channel the electricity to my fingers as the sparks dance across my palm. I flicks her fingers through the air, feeling, sensing the raw power swirling around me. I hadn't realized that the power didn't come from within me but around me and I am just channeling it.

"Leave us alone!" Ashton shouts as a warning.

"Relax, we're not here to fight." Replied a familiar male voice that I can't quite place.

"Or hurt you." Added a girl.

"Then why are you here?" Ashton inquired.

"Why the same reason as the last time we met." Answered the boy again.

"Who are you?"

The five figures cautiously approached, more out of courtesy than out of fear.

"We mean you no harm." Now I recognize him. I recognize his golden blonde hair and dark eyes.

"You," I stepped forward, brushing Ashton's hand off when she reaches to stop me. "I remember. You were the one who stopped those men. How did you do that?"

"My name is Peter. I have the power of Onyx so I can freeze time. I've developed my ability so I can freeze certain people and not a whole room."

"That's amazing." My electricity sizzles out.

I'm relieved to have found allies. Ashton, however, needs more proof than them saving our lives in order to put her guard down.

"What's your family name?" She asked.

"Um, you see, we don'T use family names. Each of us have left loved one behind in order to support our cause so to protect them we don't tie our them into our work." Peter explained.

"That's harsh."

"It's best that way."

"So you basically disowned yourself?"

"I wouldn't put it that way."

"So what 'cause' do you support exactly? Because I for one would gladly take down anyone who supports the fall of the Nightclaw family, which is what has been happening."