Chapter 75

Our day began at dawn but time seemed to be hurrying by. The afternoon was soon upon us and I felt like we had only started to make any progress.

"We're doing this tonight. We don't have time for error." I snapped, my sleepless night finally taking its toll on me.

"We're doing our best." Rosalind replied. "You need to chill out."

"We don't have ti-"

"And don't say we don't have time for that. You need to learn to live in the moment. We'll deal with everything as it comes as a team."

"Fine, you're right. I'm sorry."

"What did she say?" Peter asked.

"Oh right, I forgot most of you still can't hear Rosalind." I repeated what she had said.

Rosalind will be partnered with Lexington since he is the one keeping her image visible to everyone and he can also understand her. Unfortunately, her interactions are more limited than I had hoped but we'll make it work. While she can see and hear everything from our world, she can not touch anything nor can most hear her. Lexington will have to pick up the slack for her but at least he can change her appearance, which was my main goal.

The sun was quickly setting as my nerves were setting in. We were as ready as we were ever going to be. I just hope it is enough. I hope that I am enough.

I tried to calm my heart that was beating ever faster. I took a few shaky breathes as I watched the sun begin to set behind the trees. The sun was streaked with shades of red. It's beauty was lost on me as red only meant one thing to my troubled mind and I was not about to lose anyone else.

The time came for Peter to open a portal. I could feel tension in the air as we gathered near the fire. Peter gave me a fearful look but I couldn't look him in the eye. I know what he wants me to do but I know I can't do it. He knows it too.

I am weak.

"I can't believe we are really doing this." Katrina whispered. "Do you think we're ready?" She turned to me.

I froze for a second, not sure what would be the right response. "We'll have to be. There are others counting on us."

"Right," she replied nervously.

I felt bad that I couldn't console her but anything else would be a lie. If I said something comforting they might get overconfident and not be as alert and then we're all in trouble.

Peter lifted his hands and a ball of light that would soon be a portal appeared between his hands. It began to grow and expand. Everything seemed to be going smoothly except that it was expanding slower than usual. The portal seemed strong. It wasn't flickering at all but the distress in Peter's eyes told me that there was more going on that meets the eye.

Suddenly, the light sputtered and disappeared.

Murmurs broke out as Peter failed to open the portal. My eyes grow wide in shock.

What happened? I wondered, but my question was soon answered.

He tried again. Peter stood in silence for a full minute with is hands poised to conjure a portal before he turned to me. "I can't," he said in a low voice.

I pulled him aside. "What do you mean you can't? We're all counting on you!"

"I know, I'm so sorry but-"

"Wait, do you mean you can't or you can't?"

He knew exactly what I meant and by the look on his face I know it was the second one. He can but he can feel his control slipping.