Chapter Thirty-three

Emma's been avoiding Tyler for the past week. Today is the first day of her senior year and she's relieved that he's in college other than here with her.

He's studying at NYU. When he was leaving he didn't even get to say goodbye to her. She made up some excuse about the family business and he let her free. He tried his best to believe that she was okay because if he believed it maybe she was.

Emma couldn't concentrate. It sucked even more that she had classes with only Brian and Connor. They were both in her English class and of course, she would never drift apart from the rest of the boys.

It was fine too because they had lunch together and passing period and it was just enough time to complain about their schedules.

It was lunch at the moment and Emma struggled a little too long looking for them. There were new students—freshmen. They all bumped into different people as they tried to find a way to get an empty seat at an empty table.

Now that Emma looked at them, she felt bad. She's a senior and even if she was a senior she would never bully a freshman for whatever weird freshman thing they did.

Emma didn't want to look at the new kids with the sour expression the rest of the seniors carried around, she simply said sorry each time she would bump into one of the lost people and smiled before walking off.

Emma looked concerned when she didn't find her friends anywhere. She pulled out her phone which was on silent and watched dozens of new messages appear on her Lock Screen.

It was the group chat and Daniel kept trying to get everybody's attention.

D: Hello
Hello
Hello

C: Shut the fuck up
Now, where are you dick heads?

E: I'm a dick head?

C: You know you are.
Now, where are you?

G: I'm taking a big ass shit.
I'll be out in a minute.

B: I'm in the library returning
some book from tenth grade.

E: Where are we meeting?

B: Library?

C: Fine.

D: Love you <3

C: Shut up.

Emma put her phone away. She turned on her heel and ran into someone. Someone and something hard. It almost reminded her of some cliché romance.

She stepped back and didn't even bother to look at the guy before she walked out of the cafeteria doors. She was followed, though. It made her feel weird and then she reminded herself of the night and started walking faster.

What if it happens again?

"Hey." The guy pulled her back from her shoulder and she squeezed her eyes shut. "Why'd you run? I was going to apologize."