Chapter Twenty-nine

Chapter Twenty-nine

"So, it's my big brother's birthday and I just want you guys to be there." Tara excitedly slid onto Connor's lap who was struggling not to get an instant boner.

Emma shrugged. "He already invited me."

Tara's mouth was agape. "How'd he know there was going to be a party?"

Emma kept on reading on her phone. "He said you make one every year."

Tara unhooked her left arm from around Connor's shoulders and crossed them on her chest. "Dammit."

Emma looked up at her and gave her a reassuring smile. "He said he loves you."

Tara's eyes instantly lit up again.

"You two are close, huh?" Gabriel threw a mini basketball in between his hands. "You seem to rely on him a lot."

Tara shrugged a shoulder and hugged Connor again. "He's been practically raising me since I was ten. Our granny is the only person we have left."

Connor comforted her, telling her it was all going to be okay with just a gentle stroke to her knee. She sent him a grateful grin.

"I think he's a good guy," Brian interjected. "He seems to be someone that surprises you once you get to know him."

Emma laughed. "I said the same thing."

Tara laughed, too. "So will guy guys go to the party?" She nervously bit her bottom lip as she looked at the guys that were in random sitting positions all around the treehouse.

"Sure."

"I don't see why not."

They all answered at the same time and Tara silently cheered in her head.

𖨆

Emma and Tyler were getting ready to enter his home, both already knowing what was waiting inside the closed curtains.

"You've got a face in mind?"

Tyler nodded with a contagious grin setting on his lips. "I've practiced it over the years. I'm a pro at pretending I'm surprised."

Emma nodded. "All that practice."

"All that practice," he laughed out. He absentmindedly grabbed her hand in his.

Emma tried not to jolt at his touch, but all she could think about is how badly she wanted to untwine their fingers and just enter the damn house.

"I'm ready, Tara . . ." He laughed under his breath as he whispered at the door.

He took out his keys from his front pocket with his free hand and unlocked the door. With a last inhale and exhale he pushed the door open. Their surroundings were dark. The strong wafting smell of homemade cookies and other baked treats invaded their senses.

"Surprise!" Once Tyler switched the lights on from beside the front door, people that he knew and didn't know jumped from behind furniture, from inside small closets, and behind the staircase.