Chapter 27 - Unfamiliar scent

Hunter's pov 

As I threw the foam basketball towards the ceiling it made a light banging noise before dropping into my hand again. Laying flat out on the bed, staring up was possibly the most boring thing I could have been doing.

Jay had gone out with a few others to deal with a possible rogue sighting. I had been more than willing to go with them but no, Dad wanted to talk to me about pack stuff. I mean seriously, there's a danger to the pack and he wants to talk, it could have waited.

Don't get me wrong. The responsibility of running a pack, of becoming Alpha was something I took very seriously. My dad was a wise man and I had grown up listening about the legendary tales of his achievements.

I know that everything my Dad asks me to do is important to becoming Alpha, but sometimes I wish he would give me a break.

Jay was my future beta, so shouldn't he also have to attend my dad's 'talks', learn all the responsibilities and stuff. Sometimes he did, but only when nothing interesting was going on in the pack.

Hearing the front door open downstairs I sat up listening, I had left my bedroom door open so I could hear when Jay and the guys got back. But it was Nicky instead.

Throwing the foam basketball into the small net, which had been stuck on my wall since I was 9, I wandered out and jogged down the stairs.

 "Well, well, well, what do we have here?" I asked walking up behind the girl, she spun around smiling.

"Hunt," she greeted going for a hug, which I happily accepted, but I felt her stretch up to look over my shoulder.

"He's not here Nicks." I chuckled pulling away and walking passed her towards the kitchen.

Opening the fridge I got out two cans of coke and threw one at her, she caught it quickly and her eyes landed on the floor. Leaning on the counter I took a sip, watching her over the top of the can.

I wasn't going to lie Nicky was hot, she was tall and well-toned, her hair trailed down and she didn't slap a load of make-up on her face. She was also pretty smart and there had been times where I had to ask for her help. If she ever came onto me, I would happily go for it.

But that was before.

When Nicky turned 16, I never looked at her the same, it just seemed weird. After all she belonged to my best friend. Nicky and Jay had been mates since she came of age and they both realised, but even before then there was always a spark between them.

I was happy for Jay, she was a great catch and not only that she loved him with every fibber of her being. Jay was the same, at first we all made fun of him, the blushes, the late night texts, missing class to be with her when she was sick but he never cared. He loved her and that was the way it was meant to be.

"He went to deal with a rogue." I informed her as she took a sip of the coke, her hand froze in mid-air and she watched me curiously.

"Shouldn't you be with him?"

"And miss spending quality time with you?" I winked playfully at her.

"Hunter." She warned in a low voice and I grinned.

She was extremely protective over Jay and didn't like him going out on patrol, I had often caught them arguing about the dangers of it. Then Jay had replied with how strong he was, then Nicks got pissed, then he shouted how he needed to protect her. Then they had make-up sex.

On my couch.

"Dad wanted to talk to me about stuff." I took another sip of the drink.

"Oh," she slumped against the wall and bit her lip, "It was just the one right?"