Chapter 42 - Alpha's Laws

"Alpha Thomas's father was the one who started this," Iris said while we all sat around the table in the pack house's meeting room.

When I say all, I mean all the Alpha's, Beta's and higher-ups of each of the packs including my family. Since Iris was Alpha Thomas's mate and was also once a member of Blood Sun, she was present along with Oliver.

"Over the years he must have been telling Thomas that Sasha was his mate and I guess over time he truly came to believe it." Iris finished looking up for the first time from her lap to glance at me.

"Even at the cost of his own mate." Aaron muttered under his breath.

"Children are often influenced by their parents," Alpha Hagan said, "Even if they don't want to believe it."

"Doesn't Alpha Thomas have a brother as well?" Nick asked looking at Iris who nodded.

"Yeah, Matt, but he was my friend until the day I left and he's happily mated so I don't think he has anything to do with this."

"He was Thomas younger brother?"

"Yeah, but he was older than me so he found his mate before I did." Iris informed me and I nodded.

"Do you think he might be willing to talk, since Alpha Thomas is clearly not interested?" Alec asked and Hagan nodded at his son in agreement.

"I think so, in recent years Matt was always the more reasonable one, I honestly believe that my pack is only in this war because Tom said that his mate was stolen. Any pack would go to war over that."

"But if this Matt guy learnt that Sasha isn't really the Alpha's mate, do you think he could persuade the pack to stop?" Nick asked leaning back in his chair.

"I don't know." Iris dropped her gaze to the table again and I wished the meeting would just end so that she didn't have to talk about her old pack so much, "Most of the pack followed Thomas, if they learnt the truth they might stop."

"But would it stop Alpha Thomas?" Hunter asked from beside me.

The room went silent again as we all looked at Iris, even though she was mated with Oliver, she would always have lingering affections for her true mate. Nobody knew the answers to our questions and even if the pack learnt the truth and stopped fighting, Thomas might continue to come after me on his own.

"Why don't you call Matt?" Megs said breaking the silence, "See what he says."

Iris lifted her head to look at my sister and then she turned her gaze to me, I smiled reassuringly at her. She could also ask about her family since I knew she was worried about them and she seemed to trust Matt, well that's what I thought from what she had told me before the meeting.

"Do you know his number? We don't want Alpha Thomas to know if possible." Alec asked.

"Yeah I know his mobile." Iris said reaching into her pocket to pull out her phone, she looked around the room and once again saw that everyone was starring at her, "Um, could I do this alone?"

"Sure." Alpha Mason stood up, "We'll give you some privacy but let us know when we can talk to him too."

Iris nodded her head and then looked back at the phone as everyone got up to leave the room. This wasn't just about finding information and checking on her family, in a way she was betraying her old pack, her old Alpha. Which is something that feels wrong in every way, she had chosen the Red Star pack over her own, she had chosen me instead of Thomas.

I followed Hunter around the table but I was stopped when a hand grabbed hold of my wrist keeping me in place.

"Will you stay?" Iris asked me and I could see the conflicting emotions in her eyes.