Chapter 43 - Forgive me

Hunter's pov

*not edited*

"She will never forgive us for this." Nick Oakley looked me in the eye as he spoke and I could see the regret already setting in.

"I know," my gaze drifted back towards my mate ad I saw her chatting with Iris.

A few months ago I never really even thought about my mate, I just guessed that she would show up and we would rule the pack together. My thoughts were never concerned with what she looked like or the way she acted, or even what she thought about being mated to me.

Now, not a second went by when I didn't think about her. About what she was doing, who she was with, what she was thinking about. My entire world began to crumble when I laid eyes on her and now my new world was forming, a world which would be destroyed if anything happened to her.

Sasha Oakley, the third child of the famous Oakley Beta's from Dark Fire, it was still a little difficult to get my head around that one. Yet there I was standing next to the future Alpha of Dark Fire, her own brother, and the future Alpha of Darkmoon was just across the room.

I can't even remember a time when so many powerful packs had joined together for one common goal, but they had come for my mate. To protect her and to give her a life that she truly deserved, it really made me wonder if I was worthy of her.

After we had done what most of us agreed to do, I'm sure that no matter how hard I worked I would never be worthy of her. I was betraying her. I was going to awaken her darkest fears and there was no way she would forgive me.

I was scared.

I was scared that she would hate me, that she would leave me, if I made it back. But I was most scared of losing her, terrified that someone would take her away from me and I would be unable to get her back.

She could hate me, she could curse me and my entire family line, but I would die before I let some crazy psycho take her away from her home, from me.

I had heard the conversation between her and Tyler outside, that she wanted to fight with us. My heart swelled with pride at that, but then that quickly left at just the thought of her out in a battle field.

Sure she could fight, she was strong and fast, as we had all witnessed, but she was also easily spotted. If things took a turn for the worst then there was nowhere to hide her, nowhere to keep her safe.

The moment the enemy saw her they would focus all their attention solely on her and I knew that even with all our strength they would take her.

"Alpha." one of the warriors came over to me, holding out a cup.

"Thank you." I took it from him and looked down into the dark liquid with a heavy weight on my chest.

"Blackcurrant?" Aaron muttered under his breath.

I looked up at the two of them standing in front of me, my mate's brothers, both who knew what the plan was although they both didn't like it. My gaze went around the room and my eyes met with a few others who knew what was about to happen, none of them looking happy about it.

Sasha's father was watching me with sad eyes, he nodded his head in both encouragement and agreement. The words he had spoken to me early that day ran through my head, 'Take care of my baby girl, we're trusting you.'

The sound of her coughing pulled my gaze away and I knew that the powder I had put on my clothes was being to work. It wouldn't harm her in any way, only make her throat dry and as I moved closer towards her, I really hoped that her heightened wolf senses wouldn't detect the sleeping drug that was in the drink, the blackcurrant would hopefully cover it enough.