Chapter Eight

Grace's POV//

I was a deep believer in 'everything happens for a reason' and that at certain times the universe was trying to tell us all something. So, when I was in the process of flying away from the man I loved, I wondered if at that moment the universe knew, forcing us back together. Of course the lives that were lost had nothing to do with me but as selfishly horrid as it sounds, maybe that plane crash was exactly what I needed: a reminder that I should never have left Chester. 

I was fine now, my head no longer throbbed and I could remain my balance without having to cling to Chester's arm every time I stood up too quickly. Whenever I thought back to the fact that I would eventually have to step foot on a plane again I would get shivers down my spine and my mind would hallucinate with the memories of the damage and screams. I was often awoken by nightmares and it was times like these that I was thankful to have Chester. 

On one particular night my mind was ridden with the thoughts of the plane ride. I was back in the navy seat, everyone's faces familiar. I was staring out the window, saying goodbye to the place I found love. And then the white metal object, 30,000 feet above ground starts to shake: the chairs rocked from side to side, the engines began to crack, no longer humming but in-consecutively spitting and hissing. I was on the ground now, covering my ears from the screams and screeches of young children and their desperate mothers. I was banging into the side of the plane, my head swelling and tears flooding down my face. I kept banging and banging, smashing into the side. Again and agai- 

"Grace! Grace! Wake up, it's just a nightmare." Chester's voice rattled through my body. I opened my eyes, shaking under the covers. My throat was dry from screaming. Chester turned me towards him, his hair was perfectly messy and his smile reassuring. I clung to him as he gently rocked me back and forth- like a newborn baby. 

"It's okay. You're safe now, don't worry about a thing. It's okay. I'm here to protect you." He mumbled into my hair, cradling my frame. He then whispered something barely audible but sounding remotely similar to 'forever'. I slowed my breathing and regained sanity, still clinging to Chester as if he was all I had left to stop myself going mad. 

Chester insisted that I stayed with him in New York for the time he had left and it didn't bother me; the thought of flying caused a nauseous feeling to course through my body. So we spent the next two weeks in each other's company. And once those two weeks were over it was time to head to Los Angeles and start a new life, together. 

When the day came where we left NYC there wasn't a moment where I left Chester's side. The sight of the airport, the luggage and the masses and masses of people bought back every memory that I had tried so hard to eradicate. When I passed secruity, passport control and boarded the plane I kept imagining that this flight woud be exactly the same as the last. I closed my eyes as I stepped onto the plane, squeezing away the pain. Chester grabbed my hand and lead me up the steps to our seats, he whispered encouragements into my ear as I clung to the hand rail of my seat. The plane shortly took off and as it rumbled across the runway and my veins burst with fear Chester continuously talked in an attempt to distract me. 

"We're going to go home and then we'll go to bed and then in the morning you will wake up to breakfast. But you will have it in bed because tomorrow we wont be doing anything, you can just stay in bed all day if you want because you derserve it. I'm so proud of you Grace- you can do anything you want to now. What do you want to eat tomorrow...I must say I'm not the best of cooks but I can try."  He was ranting adorably but it had worked; all my anxiety about flying had vanished and now a smile had replaced it; like I had said so many times,it was as though Chester had known me forever. We flew into the distance, with my tired head on Chester's shoulder and our hands intertwined and for once, the future didn't scare me.