Chapter Thirty-Six

Grace's POV

During my second week in hospital my parents came to visit. In a way I didn't want them to see me, I hated them seeing me in this state. I was the one in hospital, I was the one who needed the care and support but it wasn't meant to be like that- I was meant to be the one caring for my parents not the other way round. But they came and I let them drown me in pity, stroking my hair and telling me it was all going to be okay.

I was sick of that, of the constant reminder that things were looking up. I was in the dark about the future, staring at my ring in hope of a positive outcome. What I didn't know scared me. The questions I couldn't answer and the thoughts I couldn't control; they hung over me like a shadow. Following me, never escaping my side; I didn't know how they came or how they could leave.

"I'm sorry." I said to my mom as I began to see a layer of tears build at the corners of her eyes.

That seemed to be all I was saying these days. Sorry for screwing up, sorry for being here. Sorry for my stupid body not working properly, sorry for any pain I have caused. Sorry you have to deal with me, sorry.

"What for?" My mother asked, looking at me sympathetically, although I knew she already knew my answer.

"For laying here! For not being that perfect daughter you want and deserve. For not being able to visit you every weekend, for not telling you how much I love you enough. Sorry for the tears that fall down your cheeks, sorry for the way you are pretending to be strong. It's okay to fall mom- I have."

She held my hand a little tighter, caressing the back with her thumb. She pulled me into her embrace, my frame falling against hers.

I felt like a small girl again, after my first day of kindergarten. Crying because of all the new children I had to meet, all the new children I didn't know. She had held me then and she held me now. Her arms holding me together; I could never decide whether that was physically or mentally.

"None of them things matter Grace, none of them. I don't care where you are or what you've done, I won't ever stop loving you. You won't ever stop being my little girl."

I wanted to believe her, she said it with the softest of voices and I was lured into her. Sucking up her words and spinning them around my brain, trying to believe it. I didn't believe that none of them things mattered, they did. Like a bulldozer in a theme-park, wrecking everything but there are remains and you can rebuild it again; nothing is broken for too long.

A smile I couldn't control appeared on my face, instantly making me feel a little better. My mom smiled back at me, and for a moment I just sat there; appreciating the people around me.

Chester's POV

She sat with her parents for hours and when they had to leave her face dropped slightly but I knew she was tired. That she has to slow down, it was getting the message across to Grace that was the problem.

I led her parents out the room, closing the door behind us. I glanced back into the room, smiling to myself.

"Hey Chester?" Her step-dad asked, I turned around to face him.

His hand was there for me to shake, confused, I slotted my hand in his; shaking slowly but firmly. His eyes were hard but forgiving and they burnt through me as he spoke.

"Thank you, for everything. I know it sounds weird because of where she is now but I've never seen her this happy, not in a long time. And I can't thank you enough for everything you've done." He smiled and I smiled too, feeling the fear vanish and pride substitute its place.

"You're the best thing that has ever happened to her." I nodded, unsure of how to respond to that. He left and I walked back into Grace's room, trying not to wake her as I climbed into the bed next to her, holding her close we fell asleep. Reality close to dreams.