Chapter Twenty-Six

Grace's POV

The plane took off, the wheels leaving the ground and soaring into the sky. As the plane rose higher and higher I looked out the window, at how insignificant the world seemed from up here. I wondered if that's how Chester saw me, a insignificant contribution to society. It was as if he didn't care, like I never meant anything to him. At first I had felt guilty for flying away but as his words repeated in my head I didn't care; I was glad to be leaving him. 

Making mistakes in life is something I fear, not little ones like whether that shade of foundation was too dark but whether turning off all contact to the world and travelling on your own journey when you're angry and upset is a good plan. Was I doing the right thing? Should I have gone back to Chester and let him explain? Was there anything he needed to explain? I think he said enough. 

"Are you okay dear?" The old lady seated next to me asked, breaking me from my trance.

"Huh?" I asked coming back into reality. 

"I couldn't help but notice that you seemed distressed. Sometimes talking to a stranger helps you know." Her voice was so enduring that I wanted to tell her everything and so I did; for five hours I spilled my heart out to this stranger on the plane. 

"He was more than just a boyfriend you know? He was the one I could see myself settling for, the one who I thought would be the father of my children but I guess I assumed too much. He just flipped, out of nowhere. Like if he had given of signs, if he had said something then I would've understood but it was just so sharp and unwanted. He said I wanted this cancer, that it was all a way to 'make me have his baby'. How could someone even say that?! How does that thought even register in his brain? I thought he was different, everything was so right with him. Maybe that was the problem, things never last forever right? I should've known it was coming, I should never have dropped this bombshell on him. I mean the cancer is one thing but a baby is too much. But then again, I'm the one going through it all! All he has to do is hold my hand but it seems that's impossible! He just shouted at me. Blankly shouted, his voice was so different from any other time I've ever heard it and I felt every word ripple through my body. So he slammed the door and left and then I left. And here I am now. I'm just scared to say goodbye, I don't know if I'm ready to let him go." 

I had explained everything to her, tears streaming down my face. She knew everything from the very first day we met to perhaps the last. 

"I'm sorry. I've been rambling for ages, you didn't need to hear it all." 

"No no it's fine! Look, making a big life changing decision is scary, but you know what's even more scary? Regret. I'll tell you what my greatest regret was. Letting my love go. So, if you love this man with all your heart, which I know you do, no matter what he said then I suggest you go after him, because he may be gone before you have the chance to say something." 

I stared into her eyes, they held so many memories. I wanted to stay talking to her, I wanted to know all her stories but as the plane landed she arose from her seat and began walking away. 

"Oh and by the way. Some things last forever." She said. 

And just in that moment an old man joined her and his hand clasped hers, I recognised him from the locket around her neck and I knew then that she was right all along. That I would only regret the choices I didn't take.