Chapter Sixty-Five

Grace's POV

"I think we bought a little too much Ches." I said, falling back onto the bed laughing.

I looked at the millions of bags which surrounded me and took an exasperated sigh and began searching through the nearest one. Soon enough every inch of the bed was covered in baby clothes, diapers and all these random things that I never realised any human would need.

"Me too." Chester replied, joining me on the bed carefully. "I don't remember buying this much to be honest." He said, scratching the back of his head and holding up some contraption for the cot.

"Like I'm not even sure if I know what half this stuff is?" He carried on laughing and I snatched whatever he was holding out of his hand and tossed it between mine.

"Shut up, I'm sure it's all really helpful!" He gave me a disapproving judgemental look and smirked as I read the back of the packaging in hope of some explanation.

"Tell me when you figure out what the hell we just spent hundreds of dollars on." I threw the box back at the Chester and he pretended he was deeply injured by it. I shook my head walked out the door.

"Where you going?" Chester asked, getting ready to move himself into his chair.

"To go collect the boxes from the car, the ones for the nursery." I asked, looking at Chester curiously.

"I'll go." He said voluntarily, like it was nothing.

"Really?" I asked almost a little too sarcastically.

He looked up and opened his mouth slightly,as if about to say something but then quickly retreated and shut it. His face fell and he looked to the ground solemnly.

"I'm sorry Ches, I didn't mean for it to come out like that." I pleaded, walking closer towards him.

"It's fine." He mumbled abruptly, avoiding contact with me.

"It's not fine." I said, crouching down beside him.

"I said its fine." He turned his head slightly away from me, crossing his arms over each other.

"I'm sorry Ches, I didn't mean for it to come out like that." He shrugged his shoulders a little.

"Actually I did, I did mean it I just didn't intend on it sounding so aggressive."

"I know I'm worthless, I don't need to be reminded."

"You're not worthless Chester." I sat on the bed and he hauled himself up from his seat and laid next to me.

"I am. For fucks sake we're meant to be having an argument and I can't even stamp or storm out. Hell, I haven't even got the energy to scream." He turned into his side so our faces were inches apart, although he looked down.

"That doesn't make you worthless, it doesn't make you a failure, it doesn't make you any less of a man." I stroked my fingers across his palm and gently wrapped my fingers round his.

"You're forgetting who you are."

"I know who I am." He said shortly.

"No you don't. Yes you're Chester See but that isn't you? That's just your label. You've lost who you are inside."

He scoffed, looked up at me for a second and shook his head.

"It's just changed Grace that's all, I've changed. I haven't lost anything."

I smiled slightly and he looked at me oddly.

"You haven't changed either, you're still the same man inside- I know you are. You think that if the day I met you you were in a wheelchair, the position you're in now, that I wouldn't love you all the same?"

"No one would, no one could." His words made chills run through me, how could he believe that no one could love him.

I moved closer towards him and tightly took his hand in mine.

"I would, I can."

"But that's just you." His comment stung a little but I glazed over it.

"I don't want anyone else to love you Ches, I don't care if you see yourself as unloveable because I love you and I'm okay with being the only girl that does because if at the end of the day, I'm all you have and you're all I have- then I'm happy."

"You are all I have." He whispered.

"But that's okay right?"

"More than okay." He smiled slightly and kissed me gently.

"You don't just have me Chester." I said, reaching behind me and pulling out a tiny baby grow.

"You have this little one too!" I squealed, holding it up to his face.

"I suppose I do." He grinned at me and turned over to the other side of the bed and grabbed one of the bags, he began rummaging through the mountains of clothes and toys, smiling to himself as he did so.

"I'm gonna go get the things from the car now." I said, running down the stairs.

"Daddy loves you, you know? At times he may be a little unappreciative to your presence but I promise he will never forget about you, never. And when you're born, little one, he's going to be the best dad ever. I know he is, because he's the best husband and I'm sure he won't be anything less than the perfect father to the perfect child." I said quietly, placing my hand on my bump.

I carried on walking to the car, my hands remained resting on my rounded stomach when I felt a faint kick. That's all I needed, a drop of hope.